• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console wiring

ibjeepin821

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I got an overhead from a grand and put it in my 89 but im having trouble with the wiring. I know I will only be able to get the compass and thermo working (hopefully) but I wasnt able to find anything on the the wiring. If anyone has had any experience and could help me out that would be great!!

I'm not sure if I can help you out as I put an XJ OHC in my XJ, but I do have a question for you. Do the ZJ brackets bolt up to the XJ roof or are they different? I'd be much obliged for any info.
Thanks,
Collin

The zj mounts did not seem to work yet I also didnt play with it too much. I just put the one screw in the front and then zip tied the back end to the factor light bracket (getto I know but it works really well) just take 2 zips and wrap one around the stock bracket, then take the second and attach it to the ohc...then attach both making a handcuff type action and take plyers and pull on both to tighten fullyit becomes pretty flush and stable. the lights are easy to get working but the wiring for the computer has been a pain.

The ZJ overhead computer is different from the XJ computer. The temp signal on the XJ computer comes straight from the temp sensor. On the ZJ (however I'm not shure about the earlier models as my info is from a 97 FSM) the signal is from the body computer.
Link to XJ pin out pic 2k

Last edited:
as scoobyxj said, the ZJ console uses different signals. The ZJ will also not bolt up. You can maybe jiggy rig it in there but you can never get it working.

Do you know what year the console is out of?

I would say it was around 95-96...junk yard jeep and I didnt really pay attention. def mid to late 90's

ibjeepin821 said:
I would say it was around 95-96...junk yard jeep and I didnt really pay attention. def mid to late 90's
The earlier ZJ console has a 13 pin black connector and WILL work in the XJ for temp and compass. The later ZJ console has a 6 pin red connector and WILL NOT give you temp info due to the requirement stated earlier of the body control module or body computer. Only the compass will work in the later consoles.

Late ZJ console in a 97 XJ:

xj_overhead_console_from_zj2s.jpg

so there is no way to hook power up to the computer and manage to get the compass and thermo working? I grabbed a temp sensor from the yard also.

if a compas and temp is all you want why not just get one of the cheap ones for somewhere like jcwhitney's? wonder if you could mount the console an cut out the factory display and insert the cheap one in its place? then you would have the lights and the compass and temp.

ibjeepin821 said:
so there is no way to hook power up to the computer and manage to get the compass and thermo working? I grabbed a temp sensor from the yard also.
The XJ computer and ZJ computer are not compatible.
Only if you have the earlier ZJ console with the 13 pin connector will you be able to get the compass & temp working. Otherwise you have what is shown in the above pic.

Hey Todd is that console in your rig, if so how did you mount it?

CollinM said:
Hey Todd is that console in your rig, if so how did you mount it?
Nope not mine. I added the factory XJ console in my XJ.
Some guy on JU has that setup in his XJ. He said it was a pain in the butt to mount up due to the differences in the way the front attaches to the ceiling.

Didn't you get a console mounted in yours Collin?

(Collin, I know that you know this info but for the other guys):
There is one long screw at the front of the ZJ console that goes into a bracket that is not present in the XJ. This would be very similiar to the pre97 XJ consoles.
The 97+ XJ console uses the already existing sunvisor clip screws for its front mounting points.
Another thing about the all ZJ consoles is that there will be some gaps between the console and the headliner due to the different contours of the headliners of both Jeeps.

JEEPZZ said:
Didn't you get a console mounted in yours Collin?
Haha yeah, just always looking to spend more money I guess, and for more projects of course. Yeah I put a 94's OHC into my 90.

Back