• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage Cluster question

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90 XJ so it's got the cable driven speedometer, the guage cluster that's in there now is the one without the tach that's got the really big gas guage. I have a guage cluster with a tach from the same year XJ so will it work if I plug it in or do I need to change out some wiring?

Also, if I wanted to run the tach externally from the guage cluster that's in there now which wires would I need to splice the tach into? I noticed there's 3 wires, a ground an ignition and something in japanese, where does this one go? Also I noticed in the cluster with the tach that there's a little board underneath the tach with 4 screws on the back, is this part of the tach relay?

Thanks for the help

Assuming you have a cluster from the same year (or from an 88 or 89) you do not need to do any wiring. ll wiring is in place.

You will need to replace the oil pressure sender and the coolant temperature sender (the one in the left rear corner of the head, not the one down low on the side of the block). The senders for the idiot lights are simple ON/OFF switches, the ones for the gauges are variable resistors.

The dash I have now is the one with the big gas guage and real guages

Just wondering, how can I reset the mileage on the odometer of the new cluster? It's about 130k higher than mine. I see how you sping the tenth-mile number to make it higher but I couldn't figure out how to make it lower.

Zoro said:
The dash I have now is the one with the big gas guage and real guages

Just wondering, how can I reset the mileage on the odometer of the new cluster? It's about 130k higher than mine. I see how you sping the tenth-mile number to make it higher but I couldn't figure out how to make it lower.

Although it is techincally illegal, some members have managed to disassemble it enough to be able to set the milegae to whatever they would like.

I dont know, but ive been told. :)

There is a C clip holding the odometer number in line, take that off and you cna move the numbers over and change them.

91 Jeep Project said:
Although it is techincally illegal, some members have managed to disassemble it enough to be able to set the milegae to whatever they would like.
I don't want to set it at less than what I've got now, I just want to set it to what I've got now.

So can anybody tell me where that 3rd wire on the back of the tach goes? Also is that board under the tach part of the relay for it?

Back