• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reccomend me some speakers

98JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
After 8 years, my factory speakers are starting to sound pretty tired. So naturally, it's time to upgrade. Now I'm not looking to rattle any teeth, I just want some speakers with a rich, full-bodied sound. If I correctly understand the other posts that I read, 6 1/2's can be made to fit the rear soundbar as well as the front doors.

So, I'm asking for reccomendations on brands and flavors (2-way, 3-way, whatever...). Money isn't really too much of an object if I can be convinced that something's worth it.

So, let's hear it...

i just picked up some pioneers from Wal-Mart for 40 bucks and a huge difference over stock tool all of 10 minutes to install in the doors they sound 100 times better but that could be because my factory Jensen system had no foam surround around the speaker anymore :)

For my money I like JBL and Infinity, the Infinity KAPPA is a great speaker if you're gonna run some juice to them, and the Reference series sound great on a stock setup. and they are relatively cheap. I didn't like the quality and range of the only pioneer 2 ways I have purchased.

size of the speaker isn't much of a problem, it's the mounting depth

i think when i measured it with the window completely down, it was approx. 2" which is really a limited factor when picking a new speaker

a lot of speakers you'll find will be great candidates, but will be too deep........and the closeness of the door panel to the door metal doesn't really allow any adequate spacer to be used between the speaker and the door metal

just some things to keep in mind..........

Last edited:
Fred85 said:

i think when i measured it with the window completely down, it was approx. 2" which is really a limited factor when picking a new speaker

a lot of speakers you'll find will be great candidates, but will be too deep........and the thin-ness of the doors doesn't really allow any adequate spacer to be used between the speaker and the door metal

I think that the speakers that I have in my 00 Cherokee are aftermarket. The only reason that I think this is because I can see through the door grill and they look nice and shiny like it would be an after market speaker. I know that the owner before me had put in some subwolfers because there are power wires for an amp and what not under the rear seats still (a really thing gauge power wire and negative cable plus some others). The door and rear speakers sound like CRAP and my only logical explanation for this is that they need to be powered through an amplifier and that is why they sound shi*y because they are not getting enough power from the deck itself.

Could this be the reason that aftermarket speakers would sound like crap?

fdsa487 said:
for this is that they need to be powered through an amplifier and that is why they sound shi*y because they are not getting enough power from the deck itself.

Could this be the reason that aftermarket speakers would sound like crap?

Yes, and you can blow speakers that requie high power by not running enough power to them.

Fred85 said:

a lot of speakers you'll find will be great candidates, but will be too deep........and the thin-ness of the doors doesn't really allow any adequate spacer to be used between the speaker and the door metal

While what you are saying is correct, I can roll my windows all the way down w/o issues. All I had to do was play with the speakers a little bit. After playing with them for a minute and positioning them correctly they fit in just fine. I did have to drill two new screw holes though. I helped a friend of mine put the same speakers in the front doors of his '99 and it was even easier than in my '95.

I can't remember the model # of my speakers. They're Infiniti Reference 6.5". I think they are 6002Is but they are a few years old so the model # might have changed.

I went with 6.5s over 5.25s for better low end bass response. I wanted a full sound w/o running a sub. They sound pretty good and all I'm running to them is the 18 x4 RMS watts from my Alpine CDA-9847 CD player. I have some old Polk Audio 5.25s that I had lying around in the rear sound bar. I know now that with a little cutting I could have fit 6.5s in the sound bar as well.

Back