• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing dash/all aftermarket gauges on XJ/MJ ?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering removing my whole dash and using aftermarket guages. I searched a bunch and couldn't find anyone that has done this in an XJ or MJ. I really don't want to get into the details of WHY I want to do this, but a cage is one of the reasons.

#1. Has anyone here completely removed the dash on their XJ/MJ, even if you put it back? Can you tell me any problems you ran into?

#2. Has anyone gone to all aftermarket guages in an XJ/MJ? Did you run into any complications? I'm thinking I will go fuel level, water temp, tranny temp, oil pressure, tachometer and voltmeter. Is there any legal reason to have a Speedo/Odo? Do you need one in Cali? I'm not worried at all about resale.

Please, tell me your experiences with removing your dash (even if just for a day) and wiring aftermarket guages in an XJ/MJ.

This is for an 88, please tell me what year you are discussing with yours.

Thanks

#1. Has anyone here completely removed the dash on their XJ/MJ, even if you put it back? Can you tell me any problems you ran into?

I've taken the dash off three times. Two times I've accessed the gauges, so I didn't take off the passenger side stuff. The third time I was exploring for space for electronics so I tore into that side too. With a good manual it was a breeze on my '92, probably the same dash as yours. Nothing unusual involved, just common sense... don't overtighten sheet metal screws, make sure connectors are seated well on reassembly.

#2. Has anyone gone to all aftermarket guages in an XJ/MJ? Did you run into any complications? I'm thinking I will go fuel level, water temp, tranny temp, oil pressure, tachometer and voltmeter. Is there any legal reason to have a Speedo/Odo? Do you need one in Cali? I'm not worried at all about resale.

No, I didn't do aftermarket gauges, I just replaced/overlaid gauges and gauge faces. You don't need a speedo in ca. but not having an odo will cause you grief. It is not explicitly required, but when you transfer the title you will find yourself filling out a pile of paperwork. A salvage title helps alleviate all that...

hth

I noticed C-Roc's rig runs a cluster of guages on top of his dash...maybe ask him why? I would like to replace my entire dash also, but still planning on having speedo/odo. Just not enough info with my present set-up. I still can't believe Jeep ever offered any XJ with no temp guage!! My plan is to make an aluminium dash with a small speedo and small tach. This should allow enough room to run trans temp, oil pres. water temp, fuel etc.
Let us know how your project goes..I'll let you know if I run into any problems myself. I should be ordering the guages by monday....

Back