• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ console in a 90 MJ

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I realize id have to cut it a bit to get it work and lose the rear lights, but it seems like a neat idea.

Only thing I want to work is the temp and compass, I know the others wont work.

Does the ZJ console fit in XJ and MJs?

They do fit in xj's, it might be a little long for the mj. You wouldnt have to lose the back lights if you cut a section out of it and put it back together. The material would hide any imperfections. If you can tell me how long the o/h has to be I will check to see if it can be done easily enough, I have an o/h in my shop that I not going to use and I already have it taken apart. Some of the grands had a small o/h console that is used if the truck came with a sunroof. some minivans also have a short o/h. I saw a xj on ebay with a sunroof that had an o/h in it, There was a section of the middle that was missing where the glass was. I'm sure someone with a mj has already done this and can be more helpful.

Last edited:
Hey not to hijack and I hope this will help summitlt out also but do the ZJ ones use similar brackets or will the ZJ brackets bolt up to the XJ holes? I added an OHC to my XJ about a year ago and I've always wondered how easy it'd be to do a ZJ one.

I think I read somewhere that if you have a xj bracket you only need to turn it around to work on the zj o/h.

xray said:
I think I read somewhere that if you have a xj bracket you only need to turn it around to work on the zj o/h.

Really thanks for the info, I might have to convince my bro to let me pull his OHC from his ZJ and let me try it in the old XJ. Good to know, thanks again.

summitlt said:
I realize id have to cut it a bit to get it work and lose the rear lights, but it seems like a neat idea.

Only thing I want to work is the temp and compass, I know the others wont work.

Does the ZJ console fit in XJ and MJs?
I'd go with the early Caravan console (86-90 I think, pre 91 anyways). They are the correct length for an MJ. They have the temp & compass display too.

Back