• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK on a budget

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, my steering needs a rebuild again (the draglink tre's are WORN again) so I figure I'll bite the bullet and half ass it again :D

So far my plan is to drill out the knuckles (got a second set) to install the tapered sleeves (I'll probably even weld them to the knuckle so that they will not want to come out) then I have to come up with the rest of the steering components.

Now is where the hard stuff starts. It looks like with an OTK steering I have to relocate my trackbar above the axle to keep it somewhat parallel to the draglink. Which means that I will have to either redo the RE HD one or fab one up.
Next issue is whether I want to kind of half ass an inverted Y and move it OTK or do an inverted T of sorts.
Or is there a better way to go after it? (also $ is an issue at this point)
Now keep in mind that it is a semi temporary thing to get me through till I either build a 44 or a hybrid 30/44 down the road.

Kejtar said:
Now is where the hard stuff starts. It looks like with an OTK steering I have to relocate my trackbar above the axle to keep it somewhat parallel to the draglink. Which means that I will have to either redo the RE HD one or fab one up.

JKS mfg has a bracket under fab parts. Check it out or check out mine in Scott's garage. ;)

Kejtar---

Let me know what you end up doing....take pics!!! haha i have to do the same thing and money is an issue right now...so please keep im informed on your efforts...

thanks

chris

gcurtis said:
JKS mfg has a bracket under fab parts. Check it out or check out mine in Scott's garage. ;)
Next time you're visiting yours.... take a pic will ya? :D
See, the bracket might be the least of troubles, the rest of the steering might be an issue: deciding what and how...

Kejtar said:
Next time you're visiting yours.... take a pic will ya? :D
See, the bracket might be the least of troubles, the rest of the steering might be an issue: deciding what and how...

I'm hoping a visit and possible monitored visitation in the coming weeks.

What and how? Give Cal a ring, he was playing with the insert OTK idea and JB had a weld up he built for "old ugly". IIRC he welded on a tab to the knuckle for the drag link position and flipped the tierod. This changed the steering a bit so you had to custom up a tierod and drag link out of tubing and TRE's...

Hmm... I hear coins dropping.

Kejtar said:
So far my plan is to drill out the knuckles (got a second set) to install the tapered sleeves (I'll probably even weld them to the knuckle so that they will not want to come out) then I have to come up with the rest of the steering components.

Next issue is whether I want to kind of half ass an inverted Y and move it OTK or do an inverted T of sorts.
Or is there a better way to go after it? (also $ is an issue at this point)
Now keep in mind that it is a semi temporary thing to get me through till I either build a 44 or a hybrid 30/44 down the road.
Where would you buy these tapered sleeves?
What is the biggest hole that you can drill in stock knuckles for the Dana 30?

Are there any good inverted Y setups, or are they all the same? As in the parts, not a kit?

gcurtis said:
I'm hoping a visit and possible monitored visitation in the coming weeks.

What and how? Give Cal a ring, he was playing with the insert OTK idea
Well it's not really a question specific to the OTK insert it's a question of what to do instead of the Y setup. In a way it'd be similar for D44 installs and some of the OTK knuckle setups that are available for D30.

JB had a weld up he built for "old ugly". IIRC he welded on a tab to the knuckle for the drag link position and flipped the tierod. This changed the steering a bit so you had to custom up a tierod and drag link out of tubing and TRE's...
Yeah.. but JB kept having weird front end issues and had to keep driving back to his garage without making it to the trailhead :D :D I'll give him a holler though.

Hmm... I hear coins dropping.
Yeah.. no shit... :bawl:

Remi, I have some new OTK junk that I picked up from a friend who bought a TJ. It's just sitting in my garage, waiting for me to have time to mess with it. There's a heim jointed tie rod and drag link, a new track bar and brackets for relocating the swaybar and trackbar.

If you want to borrow the stuff for a week so you can take measurements, etc., PM me.

jonboy said:
Remi, I have some new OTK junk that I picked up from a friend who bought a TJ. It's just sitting in my garage, waiting for me to have time to mess with it. There's a heim jointed tie rod and drag link, a new track bar and brackets for relocating the swaybar and trackbar.

If you want to borrow the stuff for a week so you can take measurements, etc., PM me.
Are you goint to the chapter meeting next Sunday? if so could you bring it with you?
Thanks
Remi

I'll be at the Toys for Tots run that morning and will have the stuff in the back of the jeep.

I plan to make it over to Buena Park in the afternoon, if only to see what you bureaucrats do at an official meeting :paperwork

Starboard M said:
Where would you buy these tapered sleeves?
What is the biggest hole that you can drill in stock knuckles for the Dana 30?
The tapered sleeves are advertised/listed @ the vendors forum (about 4 months back?)

Back