• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Battery?

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've got a simple question: I think I need to replace my battery, can anyone recommend which one to get? Mine is 3 yrs old and the truck is getting hard to start, it's barely starting if i let it sit for too long. I searched high and low on NAXJA, found a coupla of references to Optima Red and Yellow Top, but that's it. I Use my 91XJ Sport/5sp.in Tahoe (snow) quite a lot and need reliable juice. I have no extra lights or winch planned, aftermarket stereo but no amp. Currently using a battery called ARC, made here in bay area. Anyway, any tips on the best batteries and price range? Thanks much- - TJ

Either the Red, Blue or Yellow with work really well. The differences are Red is a starting only while the Blue and the Yellow are starting and deep cycle, meaning they will be more resiliant to constant discharge and recharge. The only difference between the Yellow and Blue is that the Yellow has top and GM side posts while the Blue is the marine version with posts and threaded studs on top. The Blue is my favorite for that very reason. If you want to add more stuff onto your battery it's easier to add a ring connector onto the studs than onto the side posts or the standard terminal bolt. If you don't want to spend a whole bunch of money just go for the factory size 58 series. If you want to use the Optima, It's taller than factory so the S shaped locating bracket off the rad support to the front J-Rod will need to be flipped over. Hope it helps.

PS I work in a battery store. Does it show?

Any battery with a replacement warranty.

bustednutz said:
I have always had great luck with Interstate Batteries.

I have heard Interstates are suppose to be top notch. But let me tell you about my last Interstate. My OEM battery went bad from age so I bought a new 60 month Interstate at the local repair shop for almost double the price of the batteries at Sam's Club. In just under 2 years the Interstate went bad. My alternator is fine and I park the Jeep in my heated garage every night. The shop wanted 40 some bucks for a warranty repacement. I went to Sam's Club and bought a new battery with 7 year warranty(2 yr free replacement, 5 more years pro-rated) for 30 some bucks. So I get a battery made by a name manufacturer with a better warranty for less money than the Interstate warranty replacement cost. Bottom line- no more Interstate batteries for me.

Sams sells those exide batteries which are OK. I've had red tops in both my XJ and my daughters TJ, both are going on their third winter, get parked outside and I got them on sale at AA for $89 + tax so they were under a $100. So far no complaints. A month after I got it I left my headlights on all day in an underground parking garage for a microsoft road show, then went to a movie, those lights were on for a good 10 hours. When I got back I figured my goose was cooked but turned the key anyway, fired right up.
As far as the yellow tops for a DD starting battery, not a good idea, know alot of other jeep owners that did that and all around the same time 4 years ago, seemed to be flurry of the yellow top craze plus the optima dealers where having some killer sales, yellow tops for $100. About 2 years later there was also alot of posting about yellow tops going bad from the same people who bought them during this period. No idea why unless they need to be deep cycled and recharged on a semi-regular basis. I'm figuring 2 maybe 3 more years out of ours and then it's time for another. My factory OEM battery lasted me about 5 years before I figured I was pushing my luck, hence the redtops.
The blue tops are also a deep cycle but are made to be more shock resistant than a standard battery, don't know how they would work long term in a DD situation.

Thanks for all the opinions, very helpful. I'm thinking I'll go with the Optima..still a little confused over the difference between a regular (red) and deep cycle (yellow), will one perform better if say, I play the car stereo, or have headlights on for a long period with the car off? Or I leave it parked in snow temps outside for a coupla days? These are the most demanding conditions I could see myself needing it for. Also, does it not drop right in, size wise? Thanks again....

truckeejeeper said:
still a little confused over the difference between a regular (red) and deep cycle (yellow), will one perform better if say, I play the car stereo, or have headlights on for a long period with the car off? Or I leave it parked in snow temps outside for a coupla days?
Yellow top, from the optima page:
If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

Unless you can find a Optima for about the same price as a standard 5-6 year battery their a huge waste of money.
The reason you see them for sale online and mail order is because regular batteries can't be shipped.
If you want to add extra battries they are the way to go for sure.
Either Red or Yellow will work but neither will give you any advantage over a standard battery of the same quality.

I also like the optima's I have them in three different trucks and I never had a problem at all. They sometimes sit awhile and stay charged well. Like was said before they DON'T SPILL>

I've been using the 39.99 walmart battery for two and a half years now. it starts fast when the temp is above about 25F, colder and it takes a few seconds.

An Optima sounds cool, but for 40$ if it lasts three years cheapo walmart is worth it to me.

langer1 said:
Either Red or Yellow will work but neither will give you any advantage over a standard battery of the same quality.

NO advantage over a similar battery? the Optimas can be mounted in any position, can crack without leaking or killing the battery, and stand up to abuse much better than any wetcell battery.

If you take your XJ onto any trail you will like having the Optima under the hood. Yes they cost a bit more and they have a bogus warrantee, but they last longer. Buy one from Autozone and you get one year free replacement and a seven year (or eight- I can't remember) pro-rated warantee.

Our (autozone's) Duralast Golds only upside to the Optima is the free replacement period (3 years for the Golds) while having the same pro-rate.

By the way, I have a YellowTop in my MJ and it is great. Wouldn't trade it for anything (especially a wetcell battery).

Back