• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'Nother n00b introduction

carmike692000

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, all! Thought I'd make an introductory post. I'm 18 and have a 1995 2-door Cherokee that has about 120,000 miles on it. From what I've been able to figure out so far, it has the 4.0 HO, AW4 auto, NP231 tc, Dana 30 in the front, and the Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. I still haven't figured out the gear ratio I have in the rear. I'm pretty sure it's either 3.55:1 or 3.73:1. I've had it for a little over a year.

I've thought lifts and big tires look cool, but didn't want one because of the slower acceleration, increased body roll, and just overall decrease in handling (like there's much to begin with :) ). I've always been car-crazy and have driven my Jeep like a Camaro, thus overriding any interest I've had in a lift. However, I've recently realized that it isn't a Camaro and have actually learned to enjoy driving like a 'normal person' lol. This combined with the fact that a friend just got a 6" lift and 35s on his Tacoma has made me think about a lift again.

Now, I've never taken my Jeep off-road before and I'm not sure that I ever will. So, my interest in the lift and accompanying gear is just for 'looks' and that added 'personality'. Let me say here that I imagine I'd have a ton of fun riding some easy trails, I'm just not sure I'd ever get into it. So, assuming I decide to go with a lift, I would want it to be functional even though I may not use it off-road. Also, my time frame for this is quite a bit in the future, as I'm thinking I may do this next summer, assuming I can get it approved by Dad.

From the researching I've done so far I've decided that I really like Rubicon Express's 4.5" 'Super-Flex' lift. That's $1010; more than I want to spend and it very well may be more than I'm able to spend, but that's what I'm drawn to right now. I'm thinking I just want to be able to clear 31" or 32" tires, but I'm not real sure. Since my main motivation for this is appearance, there's a picture of an XJ that perfectly embodies the look I'm going for. (It's in Quadratec's catalog.) I'll try to attach it below. Can you tell what size lift and tires it has on it?

So, there's basically everything I can think of right now. Ideally I'll become a off-roader and become a part of this online community. If not, then it'll just end up being another one of those stages I can say I've been through.

Thanks for reading!
Michael

I can't get the pic to show up, so here's a link to where I've posted it on my cardomain profile.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag..._images/2/web/746000-746999/746128_8_full.jpg

If you like the looks of the Qudra 2 door, search in these forums "Yellowheep" Jeep..:D

carmike692000 said:
I don't know what I'm missing, but this is the only thread that comes up for me. :confused:

I was meaning all of the NAXJA forums.

I used to be way into cars too. I never really gave wheeling much of a thought, then I turned 16 and got a truck. Cars are boring to me now. Take that jeep offroad...I'd be suprised if you didn't wanna do it again.

I'm going to see if I can't go off-roading here relatively soon. I've discovered that there's a local group that goes wheeling. Maybe they do some things every now and then a stock Jeep could make it through.

'Nother question:
If you saw me riding down the road in my Jeep, it'd look brand new. Obviously, being 10 years old, if you stopped and looked it over you'd find some scratches and dents, but it still looks great and the interior is perfect. Is it ludicrous to think I could get into wheeling and keep from getting it all scratched and beat up? 'Cause after surviging the previous 10 years so well, I'd hate to be the one to 'do it in'. With just some mild trail riding it should be possible to preserve its state of condition, no?

Thanks!
Michael

just dont wheel extremely tight trails. add some good armor and tow points and you'll be set. have fun with it.

armor, meaning skid plates and rocker guards

jeepinandy said:
just dont wheel extremely tight trails. add some good armor and tow points and you'll be set. have fun with it.

armor, meaning skid plates and rocker guards

x2

Frank Z said:
Well, well, well! Fancy meeting you here!

Thanks for the wonderful advice. ;) Happy turkey day to you and your family!

If I get into off roading, bumpers and rock rails are definitely on my list (I already have them picked out :D). However, I think it's going to be difficult to persuade my dad to let me take my Jeep out on a trail. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Carmike, you can save yourself a heap of cash by cobbling together your own lift. Since you have the time available to find the right combination, I suggest doing a bit of research into homebrew lifts. Especially since you don't think you will be wheeling it much, it will be nice to keep the stock-like smooth road ride after its lifted. An aftermarket lift will change how your Jeep rides on the road. Look at these pages here to get an idea of what's involved in minor and inexpensive modifications to clear 31's comfortably:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
http://members.aol.com/Stvns/

Watch out for inchitis, its highly contagious.

And welcome to NAXJA...
:wave:

Back