• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque wrench opinions

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Realized I need an inch/pound torque wrench to set up pinion reload and adjust upper ball joints on my D44 project.
Googled for torque wrenches and came up with many choices, ranging from $10 (Harbor Freight) to $150+ (such as Snap-on tools). Generally I buy Craftsman, but came across a consumer report that discouraged buying their torque wrench ($70). Any opinions regarding a decent in/lb torque wrench under $100?

Yeah craftsman won't cover their torque wrenches on their warranty. Not sure why probably becuase of the liability of having a calibrated torque wrench and having someones hub fall off because they didn't torque properly. I have a craftsman inch pounder and it works fine and have a harbor freight 20 dollar 5-80 ft. lber. I like them both can't beat the HF for the price but the craftsman one is definatlly way ahead as far as manufacturing and quality.

Whatever CR had to say about a tool must have been good for a laugh. Did they give points for color? Size print in the instruction book?
Craftsman is fine, I'm sure the no-lifetime-warranty is because people would return them every year for a new one just for calibration.

If you are like me and rarely use a tool like that , then i would go and buy a cheap one. Normally i buy craftsman and husky tools too, but i would only use it rarely on lug nuts and other sensitive bolts...I picked up a china made one from CQ auto for 18$, it has worked and does the job.

pete

If you go cheap, definately get an old style open beam type (like in the last link).
They are plenty accurate. I would simply not trust a "cheap" no-name micrometer.
And of course you can see the load instead of waiting for a click..

Thanks for the input--especially the point about not being able to use the clicker-type torque wrench for pinion preload checking. Looks like I'll be looking for the "open-beam" type.

Back