• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCM failure

lax17

NAXJA Forum User
Friday, my Jeep threw the codes P1682-Charging system, and P1698-TCM. When they tested the alternator it was reading like 1.2 amps; what is the normal number? Also what places sell a TCM for a '98 Jeep Cherokee, and wht years will work for me?

Has anyone ever seen these two codes showup at the same time?
TIA

If the battery is fully charged, 1.2 amps is fine. If it is discharged, it is not. Turn on the headlights and see what it says.

Don't know about the TCM, but it might be possible the alternator is related. I'd fix the alternator then see what happens. No sense in replacing somehting that might not be broken.

I had Advance charge the battery, and when it was done the machine said the battery was good. I first noticed something was wrong when I was braking at a stop light and the speedometer went all the way up and past 100.

they need to test the alternator with a load placed on it. (usually with the testing machine) go back and double check the measurement

under full load the alt puts out about 90 amps

Back