• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winshield Leaking

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
I've finally tracked down the drip i was getting on my knee while driving in the rain to the left corner of the windshield. Its been replaced(cheaply) by the previous owner and its has no cracks or marks but to reseal it by an autoglass place is the same price as putting in a new piece of glass and i really don't want to do that. Anyone have any ideas of what to try and seal it up with or will i just be wasting my time trying to fix it?? thanks

There are sealers made that might work, but you have to know exactly where you're putting it and get it in. You might be able to seal some from the inside, and some from the outside. If it's a late model with the plastic molding, you can pry it up a little and get stuff in, but the molding may not sit back down well unless you goop it too. It could get messy. Try to find a sealer that cures damp, because you may never get it dry. There is a risk here, not only because it may not look good, but f the windshield is leaking there's a good chance that rust is eating away at the pinch weld under the urethane bead, in which case not only will it not seal well, but it will get worse, and be very hard to fix later. But if it's a beater, try anything.

i'd say just hit it with a hammer. in florida if your windshield is cracked, your insurance company has to get it replaced for free. i don't know if it's the same in MA, but worth looking into. =P

hahaha well its not a beater, its actually in really good shape, and I don't have collision or comprehensive insurance so i'm not covered for glass so I can't hit it with a hammer, although that sounds like fun. Don't want the rust around the windshied(autoglass shop warned me about that already) and I don't want my floorboard rusting out so I guess i'll have to get a new shield, thanks for the response

Back