• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone tuning these rigs?

wadewells

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys...

Im sorry for my ignorance first and foremost.

I work at a performance shop focusing mainly on LS1/2/7 based applications(camaro, trans am, vette, and z06).

My question is, If I build a turbo kit for my XJ (With everything that goes along with it) who can tune these things. We have a dyno so thats not a problem, but as far as making it run correctly, I need help.

Anyone?
-Wade

Making an engine run in a dyno cell is a great way to get started - you'll end up having to "fine-tune" the engine to the chassis and application later - but you're no likely to grenade the thing.

However, int interest of fabrication, there are a couple other options I'd consider:
Grand National Turbo V6 or similar
Turbocharging the inline six (AMC or other - wasn't there a turbo Cummins I6 Diesel that took pole at Indy in 1962?)
Knocking down displacement, and making up for it with forced insduction and exotic fuels (ex. Toluene.) Think 4 cylinder engine putting something like 1100bhp on the ground, and you see where I'm going with this...

An excellent reference on the subject is Turbocharged!, by Corky Bell, Bently Press - with sade references to the ASE Automotive Fuels Handbook by ASE Press. Both are worth reading, and should be available at univerisity libraries,

5-90

Building the kit is not the issue. I have a turbo, bov, wastegate, and most of the pipine to complete the kit. I can have it finished in a few days...

Im saying computer wise, does anyone tune these?

I can add injectors, a pump, rail, etc, but as far as getting it perfect, I will need a chip or custom proramming. Does anyone do this?

Ill get some stock baseline pulls this weekend or early next week.

That might get iffy. Have you looked into the MegaSquirtFI, by Bowling & Grippo? It's desgned as an upgrade or a standalone system controller, and it's supposed to be fully homebrew to anyone with a little patience and come electronics catalogues. Perhaps a Google is a good idea - I've got half a CD of information I've assembled from "open" sources - I just don't have it handy at the moment. I do remeber looking at the kid and thinking it would be one of the easiest things I'd build (when I was a kid, most of my toys came from the Heathkit catlogue...) and I'm still looking into it vice adapting the GM-V6/DIS over to the AMC I6. Call it a 'blue-sky' project...

Given the proliferation of componentry out there, I'd think the MegaSquirtFI, th GM V6-DIS, or maybe the ChryCo SBEC would be a good way to go - perhaps in that order. The Gm V6-DIS seems to be the most likely choice for that, but I've not had a half chance to play with all of them side-by-side to compare yet...

5-90

What year is your XJ? Mapping ability varies between years, with the 87-91 having the widest mapping ability.

CRASH

5-90 said:
... wasn't there a turbo Cummins I6 Diesel that took pole at Indy in 1962?)...
Cummins power won the pole in 1952 - 138.010 MPH
never won a race though.

try Mike at Accurate Power. He seems to be the most knowledgeable on the 4.0 around these parts.

use a SDS EIC(extra injector controller) a wide band O2 and a MSD boost timing master. It worked great on my 91 turbo'd 4.0.

Back