• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136 Amp Alternator

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ive read up on here and other sites about upgrading to an 136 amp alt. when I change my dying one. Is there any drawbacks to upping the alternator on an XJ that I should be aware of before making the swap? Is there a better alternative that doesnt cost a small fortune or involve an alt. shop, because I have neither. I just notice it isn't a very much talked about subject, and if it is as easy as it sounds, it seems like it would be the way to go.

Don't upgrade your alternator till you know if you wiring is up to the extra amperage. I don't know on the late model XJ's, mine is an '88, but the early XJ's had too small of gauge alternator wiring for the stock alternator, let-alone a high amperage model. Good Luck.

Woody

Wa Woody said:
Don't upgrade your alternator till you know if you wiring is up to the extra amperage. I don't know on the late model XJ's, mine is an '88, but the early XJ's had too small of gauge alternator wiring for the stock alternator, let-alone a high amperage model. Good Luck.

Woody

hell...slapped one in my 91...works great.

red91inWA said:
hell...slapped one in my 91...works great.
It'll work, but to take advantage of the high output alternator your wiring has be up to the task. If not the extra amperage is lost as excess heat in the wiring. Good Luck

Woody

Check my website.

There are options for upgrading your source electrical - but they must all be approacghed as a soluton Just like anything else, it's a system

The DelcoSI models were fairly tolerant of upgrades, provided they were built with self-energising reglulaots and high-current diode packs *my sources uses both of these on standard rebsuilds for longevity.)

So, with all that in mind, you'll have to make sure that you upgrade the source path (output) wiring to handle the current capacity, and the "ground path" is also upgraded to a similiar size (or slightly larger) to match. The ground may be pulled from one of the mounting bolts or from a threaded boss (M8x1.0, IIRC) on the back of the case.

Then, it's just a matter of choosing a wire gage that willl handle the power output - which is a simple matter (and if I've got that amapcity chart up anywhere.) If I don't have that ampacity chart up yet, I'll need to get 'round to it...)

5-90

if you upgrade your alt. you should definately upgrade the "Big 3"

it might not be completely necessary, bit it's a cheap upgrade and will help with current flow some

Uness I'm mistaken, Big 3 refers to Alternator Outpput, Battery to Block Ground, and engine to frirewall gound. I have selected all my kits and components to "upgreade plus" specs - so I seem to remeber (and can readily confirm) that all my cables are goo dfor up to 200A full-load. I can get up to 400A full-load upon reqest, and I have tooling here to handle it. Be sure to specify when ordring, and all"off-list" itmes are special ordre and therefore require full payment in advance.

Please refer to www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power for more information, and click the email links to get hold of me. I haven't posted the WIP email addy in the opn in a effort to keep SPAM down - and it seeems to be working!

Please allow me extra time for responses, I've not been feeling up to scratch since I got hit by a car (and the deals are still a lltte fuzzy...) and it might take me a little time get back to you - or hammed our a coherent replly! (I'd sooner be able to asnwer you coherently, but I can't always...)

5-90

Back