• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure guage change year

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I read somewhere that newer oil pressure guages (after 91) use differenet resistances for oil pressure. I have a guage cluster out of a newer truck than mine (mines a 1990)}

My guage goes almost all the way to 0 and drops to about 15 with the key on without running. Obviously this is wrong. Will a newer sensor fix this?

How did you get a gauge cluster from a newer truck (with electronic speedo) to work in your rig equipped with a cable speedometer?

Either way, you have to change to an "gauge style" oil pressure sender and you probably should get a compatible cluster for your year- its 91 or 92 (dont remember) to 96 that are compatible and before that up to 87. Ask me if you need this explained further or need part numbers?

I already had the full guage set, i broke my oil pressure needle doing a whtie face guage swap. I just ended up buying a whole new cluster, and swapped in my speedo to keep my mileage.

Ive read that the oil pressure guages are different, I just dont remember what year that happened.

It isn't ust resistance value. 91 and up oil pressure gauges are wired opposite to the earlier ones. On earlier ones, an open circuit drops the needle, and a short pins it. On later ones, an open pins it, and a short drops it.

I don't even know if a later type gauge will work if spliced into an earlier cluster. If the donor cluster had a cable-operated speedo, then you're still in the right range. If it had an electronic speedo, then I don't know. But I'd start by unplugging the wire to the sender. On a 91 up this should max out the gauge needle. If it does, then you could try a newer sender, and see if it works, but you'll spend 30 bucks or more to find out. If it does not, then your problem is something else - either a bad sender, or an incompatibility between gauge and cluster circuitry.

Back