• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is it like in NC.

G

We are looking to relocate to the Raleigh NC area sometime next year. I am going to put in a transfer to get out of Ca. I was just wondering how the 4 wheeling and also general area is there.

Thanks,
Larry Ratcliff

Well,in my limited experience of NC,it's a good ol' down home area. The wheeling is excellent. If you've never been to the Tellico ORV area,you're in for a treat. There are loads of places to ride down south.

NC has a wide variety of things going on & things to do...Raleigh, Greensboro & Charlotte areas all have good night life if that is your thing, but you need not get far from the cities to be in the rural southeast. As a general rule, people here are very friendly, church & community oriented, and pretty conservative folks.

The nearest wheeling for Raleigh folks is Uwharrie Nat. Forest (located west of Raleigh in so. central NC, approx 1.5 hours from Charlotte, Raleigh, Fayetteville, Greensboro.

Also further east is Croatan Nat Forest OHV trails, but I have no feedback on that place (other than some deep mud holes, tame wheeling I suspect. It is a swampy area with bears, alligators, bugs & stuff)

Upper Tellico ORV is out in the SW corner of the state, just North of Murphy. It is pretty awesome appalachain mountain scenery and has challenging trails for most all levels (not much 'easy' trails to speak of) Tellico is approx 7 hours west of Raleigh.

Keep in touch and don't hesitate to ask any ?s or for more info. I moved to NC in 1991 and love the place. I am 1.5-+ hr south of Raleigh in Moore County.

Don 'Woody' Woodward
[email protected]

NC is a pretty nice place, lived here all my life. You'd be surprised as to how many Jeepers and wheelers live here. We've got a good variety of wheeling ranging from the beaches to Tellico. A LOT of mud (unfortunately :mad: ), quite a few rocks (although nothing like CA :roll: ), and just about anything else. Usually, you can find trails all over the mountains that are pretty low key and very technical.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like there is plenty of 4 wheeling there.

I was also wondering about auto racing. Are there any amateur racing groups out there? Out here there is SCCA, Shelby Club, and green flag. I am not real particular. I just like to get out and autocross, roadrace, or drag race (at the track).

To me night life is tooling around out in the garage after the little one and my wife have gone to bed. Just have to leave the grinding and cutting for the weekends.

The company I work for seems to be expanding things out there so it looks like I will probably be able to transfer there. I guess I wont know until March though (we have to finish our current release).

Thanks again for the information.
Larry Ratcliff

Auto Racing opportunities

Hmmmm lets see:

For drag racing we have The Rock (rockingham), with two IHRA National events April & Oct. also amateur racing most every other fri & sat nights...$15 per car to run IIRC. Also over by Greensboro is Peidmont Dragway (never been there) and down in SC is Darlington.

For SCCA I am not really sure, but Eric Thomas will know...I 'think' there is a road course in southern VA. A piece down the road is Road Atlanta, and up in the NE there is Lime Rock (CT) and Watkins Glen (NY).

This is NASCAR country, with tracks at Richmond, Martinsville (VA) Charlotte, Rockingham (NC) Bristol (TN), Darlington (SC) Atlanta (GA) Talladega (AL) Homestead and Daytona (FL) Also several dozen smaller ovals around the area, both paved & dirt...for amateur class & Busch series stock cars.

We likes motorsports down here!

Woody

for SCCA racing there is VIR right around danville,va and also outside of winchester is summit point raceway that has SCCA racing up there. and between the two states NC & Va there is plenty of good backroad to play on as well, in the big spots (like Deals Gap) you will be sharing the road with the rice rockets.

Hunter

Hey! Road Atlanta. That's about 10 minutes up the road from me! Lots of SCCA races there,although,I've never attended any events there. I'm usually accross the road at the small 3/8 mile asphalt circle track on Saturday nights--Lanier Raceway. Like Woody said,this is NASCAR country,but I still like 'em all anyway!! :D Oh,yeah. There's also Atlanta Dragway about 30 minutes up the road (closer to NC). I've never understood why they call those places "Atlanta" this and that when they are nowhere close to Atlanta. :lol:

I'm not into the whole racing scene, but there is a small dragstrip up in Lincolnton, which is right outside of Mooresville (Lake Norman). Its pretty cool, mostly muscle, got rice?, and some super bikes. My best friend runs his 5.9L ZJ there sometimes. Its an 1/8th mile track and he runs a 9.2.

Darlington,SC that's near me!

There is a IHRA Track here too. They run two "Big" races a year I think. There are dirt and asphalt tracks all over North and South Carolina. Hell we started out running shine and when that was over we had to do something with those rides!

Back