• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do about axles?

Mudskipper

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help. I have a set of 79 Ford F250 axles Front D44 and Rear D60.Should I spend the money and build these up or just buy a new already built 44 front to go with my factory rear 44? Will the 44's handle 36's? I'm just trying to decide what direction I should go in. Any help would be appreciated.

My best friend's Scrambler had Dana 44's F&R. He's gone from 35's to 38's and we (he) haven't broken anything even with Detroit Lockers F&R.

I would go with the 44. But I'm like that. This may very well be an unusual case but... Another friend of mine went from 44's to Dana 60's F&R. His driving style went from careful, thoughtful, elegant and awe-inspiring to all-out, bouncing-off-trees, screaming motor banshee runs because he "could". That certainly does not mean you or anyone elase would do that but I imagine your driving style has a lot to do with axle choice.

im doing a 78 44 also under my xj. Im still searching for different ways to mount the radius arms. That will be your biggest problem. other wise the swap is a snap. the coil buckets work for xjs so your ready to go. I would rebuild it yourself or a trusted friend. That way you know exactly what was changed etc. And I plan on running 35-36s on mine. just dont truly lock the front and keep them under 13.50. But then you could throw some chromos in there and maybe run a 38???

Back