• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cool diesel swap

It's about time someone did this (other than the SEMA CRD TJ).

Now Jeep needs to do this as a factory option. I don't under stand the logic of putting the CRD in only the "Soccer Mom-mobile" and not in the most offroad capable factory produced vehicle.

Last edited:
Dirk Pitt said:
You're next.

Believe me, if I find one when I've got extra cash and time available, it's going into the '01.

I keep coming back to the GM 6.2 for my MJ though.

3.9 turbo Diesel is going in to my CJ7

Lawn Cher' said:
Believe me, if I find one when I've got extra cash and time available, it's going into the '01.

I keep coming back to the GM 6.2 for my MJ though.

What a crappy motor! Theres much better than that out there

Rev Den said:
WOW! I'll bet LC is glad you stepped in on that and saved him from an making a big mistake.

:laugh3:

Rev

Gosh Rev, I sure am. The fact that I'm already intimately familiar with the similar 6.5 in my Suburban, it is plentiful and inexpensive, can be installed using Chevy smallblock conversion parts, and will fit in the engine bay must not mean anything compared to the opinion of some punk kid who regularly mistreats his MJ.

XTrmXJ said:
3.9 turbo Diesel is going in to my CJ7

Jon! Where the fawk have you been? I missed you buddy! :kissyou:

Lawn Cher' said:
Gosh Rev, I sure am. The fact that I'm already intimately familiar with the similar 6.5 in my Suburban, it is plentiful and inexpensive, can be installed using Chevy smallblock conversion parts, and will fit in the engine bay must not mean anything compared to the opinion of some punk kid who regularly mistreats his MJ.

I would listen to him if I were you.
It sounds like he knows what he is talking about.
Almost expert like.

0313 said:
I would listen to him if I were you.
It sounds like he knows what he is talking about.
Almost expert like.

Wow, endorsement from 2 respected NAXJA members... maybe I outta reconsider.

Lawn Cher' said:
I'm already intimately familiar with the similar 6.5 in my Suburban, it is plentiful and inexpensive, can be installed using Chevy smallblock conversion parts, and will fit in the engine bay.

You sure it will fit? I'm a 6.[2,5] fan and like the idea.

Root Moose said:
You sure it will fit? I'm a 6.[2,5] fan and like the idea.

Not 100%, but based on rudimentary measurements between the 6.5 in my '97 K2500 Sub and the engine bay in my '87 MJ it seems feasible.

I think the up-pipes for the turbo will kill you. If they route like my 6.9 (which the 6.5's do, IIRC), they'd be right on the firewall.

Be a heck of swap, may not be the best for rocks, but it would be fun.

CRASH said:
I think the up-pipes for the turbo will kill you. If they route like my 6.9 (which the 6.5's do, IIRC), they'd be right on the firewall.

Be a heck of swap, may not be the best for rocks, but it would be fun.

That's why I was thinking of using the NA 6.2, less junk hanging off the block. Plus, I'm not planning on upgrading the D30 & D44 I have under the truck so I don't want too much power. But if I find there is room for a turbo, I can just swap the heads, exhaust manifolds and turbo stuff from a 6.5. Just want to do something different really. My XJ is for rocks anyway, this'll be more of a showoff rig. I appreciate your endorsement nonetheless, CRASH.

Last edited:
well seeming everyone is gonna be doin diesel swaps, i guess ill drop a 5.9 cummins in mine, but ill mount mine mid-engine

Lawn Cher' said:
That's why I was thinking of using the NA 6.2, less junk hanging off the block. Plus, I'm not planning on upgrading the D30 & D44 I have under the truck so I don't want too much power. But if I find there is room for a turbo, I can just swap the heads, exhaust manifolds and turbo stuff from a 6.5. Just want to do something different really. My XJ is for rocks anyway, this'll be more of a showoff rig. I appreciate your endorsement nonetheless, CRASH.

Do the old Banks 6.2 turbo kits route the same way as the OEM 6.5 stuff?

I ask because the Banks kits seem to appear from time to time around here.

If it was a different routing that may be an option for turbo.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Root Moose said:
Do the old Banks 6.2 turbo kits route the same way as the OEM 6.5 stuff?

I ask because the Banks kits seem to appear from time to time around here.

If it was a different routing that may be an option for turbo.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Not sure, I haven't seen a Banks kit firsthand. I was gonna only pursue the turbo as an afterthought if there turned out to be room for it. From what I've read, the van and Hummer package the 6.5 turbo much more tightly than the truck/SUV version via different heads and manifolds.

Back