• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the symptoms of dirty injectors?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
The thread on injector cleaner made we wonder if my "loading up" problem could be caused by dirty injectors. So what are the symptoms if injectors need cleaned?

96 Cherokee said:
The thread on injector cleaner made we wonder if my "loading up" problem could be caused by dirty injectors. So what are the symptoms if injectors need cleaned?
I doubt it, but why not clean them anyway it always helps gas mileage.
By the way "loading up" means different things to different people, so explain your problem.

langer1 said:
I doubt it, but why not clean them anyway it always helps gas mileage.
By the way "loading up" means different things to different people, so explain your problem.

Loading up means at idle, in gear, for more than a few seconds and it starts missing out and there is an unburnt fuel smell in the exhaust. Like the old days when a carburated engine was choked or getting too much fuel. Don't know why it's happening to my fuel injected engine, but there has to be some reason. It's far worse in warmer weather, but now it's starting to do it in cool weather. Also does it sometimes on hot starts. Even when it's running normally, I can often smell that unburnt fuel odor in the exhaust. The fuel milage has not gone down very much, if any, but there is definitly a problem. Some things I have done recently:

Sprayed TB cleaner in the TB. It was filthy inside. No difference.
Drilled about ten 3/4" holes in the front of the airbox
New Napa Gold air filter
New plugs
new plug wires
new rotor and cap
new forward O2 sensor
fuel pressure checked. 38 lbs, but no leaking injectors.
Have a new fuel filter, but not installed yet.
Fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago (50,000 miles back)

96 Cherokee said:
Loading up means at idle, in gear, for more than a few seconds and it starts missing out and there is an unburnt fuel smell in the exhaust. Like the old days when a carburated engine was choked or getting too much fuel. Don't know why it's happening to my fuel injected engine, but there has to be some reason. It's far worse in warmer weather, but now it's starting to do it in cool weather. Also does it sometimes on hot starts. Even when it's running normally, I can often smell that unburnt fuel odor in the exhaust. The fuel milage has not gone down very much, if any, but there is definitly a problem. Some things I have done recently:

Sprayed TB cleaner in the TB. It was filthy inside. No difference.
Drilled about ten 3/4" holes in the front of the airbox
New Napa Gold air filter
New plugs
new plug wires
new rotor and cap
new forward O2 sensor
fuel pressure checked. 38 lbs, but no leaking injectors.
Have a new fuel filter, but not installed yet.
Fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago (50,000 miles back)
Have you tested the MAT,MAP, and the coolent temp sensor?

langer1 said:

No. The Chrysler tech checked the outside air temp sensor reading whicle he had the computer scanner hooked up to the Jeep recently and it showed it was reading normally. Are the sensors you mentioned something I can check at home, or am I gonna have to take it to a shop for that? I don't know anything about those. A tech at another shop suggested I see if the the mass air sensor needed cleaning, but I have not persued that yet.

langer1 said:

OK, after reading GoJeep's article on the adjustable MAP control, it looks like the MAP is involved in the air/fuel mixture control. Looks like I'm going to have to take it to a shop and pay the $75.00 an hour shop rate to have a pro look at it. This is over my head. :(

Back