• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High speed cooling ?

Rambler100

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new and have browsed a bit looking for an idea about this. Just got a 1995 XJ 4.0 4W 5 speed manual. 155,000 miles. Actually love this vehicle and it seems very solid. Don't know the maintenence history but it seems good. Anyway i bought this for a daughter and she never learned ti shift. Last time I ran it, it overheated on the road. Took it to a mechanic who replaced the water pump. Also I had a leak after the work and replaced the top hose. Seems okay but then sat serveral months. Drove it on a 50 mile each way round trip on the highway and on the trip back at 70 - 75 mph the hot light came on. Backed offdown to about 45 and the light goes off. That happened twice and I just slowed down fo rthe rest of the trip. I was not running the A/c. I hope tp get this in nice shape and keep it for my own regular use. Want to put a hitch on and other improvements or maintenence updates.
Any ideas and suggestions for improvements appreciated as I am a beginner.
Thanks

Try to squeeze your lower radiator hose with your hand - it's supposed to have a spring inside. If you can squeeze it shut, the spring is missing and you will need to get a new hose with spring. It's a dealer only item (aftermarket doesn't come with spring), but you can find it from online mopar dealer for about $13

lilredwagn said:
Try to squeeze your lower radiator hose with your and - it's supposed to have a spring inside. If you can squeeze it shut, the spring is missing and you will need to get a new hose with spring. It's a dealer only item (aftermarket doesn't come with spring), but you can find it from online mopar dealer for about $13
New hoses have the spring molded in the rubber,as long as there made as lower radiator hoses, universal fit hoses may not, Dealer hoses still have springs because there old stock.
Make sure your belts tight, real tight. Your hose will never collaps once warmed up and running up to speed.

Highway cooling problems are always caused but insufficient coolant flow.

How old is the rad? It could be partially plugged. Have you flushed the system? Can't hurt to get as much gunk out as possible.

Back