• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil lengths

88rockxj

NAXJA Forum User
i searched but couldnt find what i was looking for (hard to search using single numbers) im about to finish up my long arm im building and ordering a set of 42 iroks . to be able to fit 42s and keep the front fender (it will be cut alot)its gonna have to be pretty high so is there a list of coil spring legnths somewhere? not sure if i should get the 8" sky jacker 8.5"rustys or rockkrawlers , it will be fullwidth so i dont know if i should use the soft rockkrawler coils (i want it to be flexy but not too soft) becuase they may compress too much.

so whats the longest compressed legnth coil out there, or which one should i buy? cheaper the better but i dont wanna have to replace them a year later

The Skyjacker 8's are my favorite spring, and several of us run them now. Spring rate is about 250 lbs/in. Still, it barely clears 37's under full compression, with fenders cut. They won't clear 42's without a lot of fender gone, or maybe some spacers.

i will be using a 1 3/4 " spacer untill i can afford some ACOS's, or find a good way to build mine own. i dont need too much up travel though, i will have more then enough down travel with the long arm.

88rockxj said:
i dont need too much up travel though, i will have more then enough down travel with the long arm.

I don't understand this theory of suspension design. Please elaborate.

CRASH

elaborate that i dont need much up travel eh, ok ill try. ever seen how prerunner trucks set up thier shocks? is it 50-50? 40-60 up? 40-60 down? research that for yourself and it will give you some good info, and then research the way people setup thier tube buggys and what percentage of thier shock/coil over is up and which is down travel. almost all research i have done in the past 7 yrs ive been into offroading prooven rigs have had in my guestimate an average of 65/35-70/30 with the higher number being down travel. the only time ive ever needed or wanted more up travel on any of my rigs has been when there is more room in the fender before the tire hits or rubs, other wise the only thing ive wanted or needed was more down travel. a lower cog the better , when i build a rig the first thing i do is cut the fenders as much as i can/want (i dont care if its pretty but i dont wanna it to be hacked) then lift the suspension as much as i need to fit the tires im running. as long as i have a couple of inches of up travel and my fenders dont rip up my tires then my vehicle does great offroad , hope my horrible grammar doesnt give you a headache. but i have the feeling anything i could have written wouldnt change your mind , thanks for the input though i figured i would of had more responses here on NAXJA. ill post the compressed and uncompressed lengths of which ever coil i end up buying for future refrence .

Actually, I didn't really care about your grammar or spelling, just wanted to know about your theory about not needing uptravel. Just a simple discussion among fellow gearheads, Mr. Hyper-Sensitive. :rattle:

The way I typically set up suspensions is 40% up 60% down, though I have gone 30% up 70% down. On a 14" travel shock, that's still 4.25" up. I just wanted you to elaborate on how much uptravel you were thinking of, as 42's are quite a large tire to fit on a rig with intact sheetmetal.

88rockxj said:
elaborate that i dont need much up travel eh, ok ill try. ever seen how prerunner trucks set up thier shocks? is it 50-50? 40-60 up? 40-60 down? research that for yourself and it will give you some good info, and then research the way people setup thier tube buggys and what percentage of thier shock/coil over is up and which is down travel. almost all research i have done in the past 7 yrs ive been into offroading prooven rigs have had in my guestimate an average of 65/35-70/30 with the higher number being down travel. the only time ive ever needed or wanted more up travel on any of my rigs has been when there is more room in the fender before the tire hits or rubs, other wise the only thing ive wanted or needed was more down travel. a lower cog the better , when i build a rig the first thing i do is cut the fenders as much as i can/want (i dont care if its pretty but i dont wanna it to be hacked) then lift the suspension as much as i need to fit the tires im running. as long as i have a couple of inches of up travel and my fenders dont rip up my tires then my vehicle does great offroad , hope my horrible grammar doesnt give you a headache. but i have the feeling anything i could have written wouldnt change your mind , thanks for the input though i figured i would of had more responses here on NAXJA. ill post the compressed and uncompressed lengths of which ever coil i end up buying for future refrence .

88rockxj said:
ill post the compressed and uncompressed lengths of which ever coil i end up buying for future refrence .

Those have been posted several times on this site, along with spring rates, which I think is a more important metric.......

CRASH said:
Actually, I didn't really care about your grammar or spelling, just wanted to know about your theory about not needing uptravel. Just a simple discussion among fellow gearheads, Mr. Hyper-Sensitive. :rattle:

The way I typically set up suspensions is 40% up 60% down, though I have gone 30% up 70% down. On a 14" travel shock, that's still 4.25" up. I just wanted you to elaborate on how much uptravel you were thinking of, as 42's are quite a large tire to fit on a rig with intact sheetmetal.

well i knew how much it bothered you before so i just had to comment,and i said i dont need much up travel not that i dont need any at all. my front fenders will be cut all the way up to the ridge in the body line. my rears are cut to the point where if i cut them anymore i would need to put new tubs in so my sheetmetal isnt exactley intact, i just dont want to completely remove the front fenders because i will be driving it on the street a little.

Last edited:
CRASH said:
Those have been posted several times on this site, along with spring rates, which I think is a more important metric.......

still waiting for somone to chime in with a link or some numbers, but thanks for letting me know its out there somewhere. spring rates and lengths would be great.

thanks for the link it was a nice read, wish there were more spring lengths though (for the 8"+ coils), so was it determined weather RE 7.5" zj coils were stiffer then the skyjacker 8" ones ?

I personaly am goingto try running a set of BDS 6" coils for a bronco this combo should not give alot of up travel ant take one heck of a jump with out hitting bottom. cost 100.00

88rockxj said:
thanks for the link it was a nice read, wish there were more spring lengths though (for the 8"+ coils), so was it determined weather RE 7.5" zj coils were stiffer then the skyjacker 8" ones ?

No way, I've tried both, the RE 7.5 uses the same wire diameter as the RE 4.5" XJ, with more active coils added. This reduces the spring rate by about 15% over the ZJ spring rate, which is already a touch on the soft side when you are running a winch.

The Skyjacker 8" is the best spring we've found for a rig running winch and bumper, that gets used in the rocks.

Back