• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Probably NSS, need a second opinion.

XJack

NAXJA Forum User
Intermittant no start.

Jump in and turn the key, nothing. Guages, etc coming up normal, but not so much as a click from the starter.

Wait 5-10 seconds, try again. Usually starts cranking after about 3 or 4 tries. Engine turns over fine when it cranks.

I'm thinking the NSS is gummed up, or possible Starter relay. Just looking for a 2nd opinion. It hasn't left me stranded yet, but I'm sure it's not far away.

XJack said:
Intermittant no start.

Jump in and turn the key, nothing. Guages, etc coming up normal, but not so much as a click from the starter.

Wait 5-10 seconds, try again. Usually starts cranking after about 3 or 4 tries. Engine turns over fine when it cranks.

I'm thinking the NSS is gummed up, or possible Starter relay. Just looking for a 2nd opinion. It hasn't left me stranded yet, but I'm sure it's not far away.

I had a similar no start problem that I thought for sure was the NSS. Turned out to be the starter. I figured it out by tapping on the starter with a hammer/flashlight when it wouldn't start. Usually fired right up after that.

Next time it doesnt start throw it in neutral and try to crank it. If it satrts in neutral and not in park it is the nss not reading that it is in park and thus prohibiting the stater from cranking. I have to put it in neutral occasionally to start because mine does this sometimes, but not often enough to replace the nss.

Just joined to jump in on this one - HELP! 93 Jeep GC has all symptoms previously mention in this thread, except now it won't even start in neutral. It's like a two-man job just to start the car -- one to wiggle gear, other to turn key---with a 50/50 chance of starting. If i need to replace, how much should i expect to pay for part? Please enlighten...

leija66 said:
Just joined to jump in on this one - HELP! 93 Jeep GC has all symptoms previously mention in this thread, except now it won't even start in neutral. It's like a two-man job just to start the car -- one to wiggle gear, other to turn key---with a 50/50 chance of starting. If i need to replace, how much should i expect to pay for part? Please enlighten...
$280.00 at the dealer, about half that aftertmarket, but they can be cleaned most of the time.

x2 with Langer. Do a search in here and find the thread that details on how to clean a NSS. Way cheaper to try this first b-4 buying a new one.

here try this the you dont have to worry about the nss.

this is a pita but i did this to my z28 so i didnt have to get in and push the clutch to start it. go to your local parts store and get a HEAVY DUTY momentary switch "push button" and 20 or so feet of 10gage wire and some soderless(sp?) O connectors. find a place on the dash or center console and dril a hole for the switch and mark it. now jack the truck up so you can get to the starter. connect one of the conectors to the POS(+) side of the solenoid then run that wire safetly through the firewall to where you have picked out where your switch will be. cut the wire with extra so you can take the console off if need be later. now that the wire is cut run the wire back to the solenoid and put another o connectoe on the end and put that on the activation side of the solenoin. next drill the hole for your switch connect the two ends of the wires inthe cab with two female blade connectors and mount your switch. hook your wires up and test. when you trun the key to the ON position push the button you just installed and it should start. now secure your wires so they dont hang down and ceatch on something and now you can start your jeep without a nss(aka pain in the a$$) i ran this setup on my z28 for 5 years and never had a problem. hope this helps.

having the same problem with my 96 with 167,000 on it. went from being extreamly intermittent to everyday now, and sometimes it won't even start in neutral. My old XJ was a manual so if i drive this one up on ramps where is the NSS, on the side of the tranny? what does it look like? thanks

mylt1 said:
here try this the you dont have to worry about the nss.

this is a pita but i did this to my z28 so i didnt have to get in and push the clutch to start it. go to your local parts store and get a HEAVY DUTY momentary switch "push button" and 20 or so feet of 10gage wire and some soderless(sp?) O connectors. find a place on the dash or center console and dril a hole for the switch and mark it. now jack the truck up so you can get to the starter. connect one of the conectors to the POS(+) side of the solenoid then run that wire safetly through the firewall to where you have picked out where your switch will be. cut the wire with extra so you can take the console off if need be later. now that the wire is cut run the wire back to the solenoid and put another o connectoe on the end and put that on the activation side of the solenoin. next drill the hole for your switch connect the two ends of the wires inthe cab with two female blade connectors and mount your switch. hook your wires up and test. when you trun the key to the ON position push the button you just installed and it should start. now secure your wires so they dont hang down and ceatch on something and now you can start your jeep without a nss(aka pain in the a$$) i ran this setup on my z28 for 5 years and never had a problem. hope this helps.

OR
you can just cut two wires on the NSS plug in the engine bay and splice em together
thereby bypassing the NSS .

and if ya want to get fancy and integrate a kill switch for theft protection
run a lead of wire from each wire to a toggle switch in the cab
therby having a kill switch

Last edited:
langer1 said:
$280.00 at the dealer, about half that aftertmarket, but they can be cleaned most of the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...33727QQitemZ8015785191QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or

http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm

or the bypass route

just splice b & c together and wola ..no more worries withthe NSS and the backup lights will still work ..gather ing they are working at the present
1-2a.jpg

note here guys the jeep WILL start while in gear thereby... jumping.. forward

Last edited:
Had similar symptoms on my '95. Found bad ignition switch wiring in steering column below key switch. Over the years of tilting and untilting the steering wheel, wiring (specificially where the harness plugs into the switch/turnsignal, etc assembly) had become worn, causing a bad connection. After replacing that assembly, no more problems. Fairly easy job and the part cost somewhere around $60.00 if memory serves.

Hope this helps.

Exact symptoms my 96 had when the starter went. Wasnt to bad, AZ lifetime warrenty....If your gonna keep it (like me) youll never have to pay for another!

Back