• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting Idle

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
How do you go about adjusting the idle on a renix 4.0. w/ auto. Right now it idles in drive at about 500 rpm ( just a hair above 1st line).

Why would you want to adjust it? 500 seems OK. You can pop the plug off the side of the TB (drivers side) and adjust the idle some. But the O2 sensor and the IAC will want to readjust it constantly again anyway. I tired opening the throttle, till the IAC closed all the way, then unplugging it, then adjusting the throttle stop, so it idled about 750, but it would then occasionally idle to high, until it got good an warm. If you adjust the throttle stop, you have to readjust your TPS (which can also change idle some). Kind of turns into a can of worms, about the time you get it perfect it changes again on it's own.
I raised my idle up to 750 or so, which made the motor lug a little at a stop light in gear and noticeably raised fuel usage. I lost a couple of miles to the gallon.

Back