• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket cooling

ferday

NAXJA Forum User
hi all,

i usually use my '96 xj for fire roading at high speeds (it's my mountainbike shuttle vehicle) and finding that my tranny is overheating to the point where the fluid is spitting out. i have searched the site, everyone seems to be using the B&M coolers, but i can't find any based in canada, is there other options?

also i need a new radiator as mine is smashed, is there a recommended brand (the modine 2core seems to come up most in the search?)

thanks!

Can you get Flex-A-Lite, Hayden, or Transdapt up there? They're all good aftermarket brands as well.

If you can, get the kit that has the thermal bypass valve in it. That valve will bypass the cooler until the fluid gets to about 190*F, then open up and allow the fluid to flow through the cooler. This allows the unit to reach operating temperature a little quicker (I'd not worry about it down here, but it gets pretty cold in the Great White North,) and will help things work better.

Given what you're dealing with, a 4-pass (four runs of the fluid through fins) is probably a minimum, with a 6-pass being better.

If you can't source anything locally, check the websites for the respective manufacturers, since they'll probably be able to point you toward a source.

5-90

Tube and fin coolers are horrible in comparison to these: http://www.tsscoolers.com/Merchant2...Y&Store_Code=WGPS&Category_Code=tru-coolthick

They are, by far, the most effective trans coolers on the market. We went through 3 different coolers on a diesel project before we found this brand. We use the 28,000 GVW model to cool a Ford auto behind a 600 ftlb Powerstroke. It dropped temps over 80 degrees compared to the next best tube-fin model.

Simply amazing difference, you won't be disappointed.

Back