• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scout 44

xjj33p3r

NAXJA Member #1108
I might be able to score a Scout rear d44 for nearly nothing, and I wanted to know if there were any downsides to purchasing this thing. It's either I get that, or a 9, but the 9 would cost me a bit more.

if i remember, the scout 44's have smaller tubes, or thinner wall tubes, or something like that, and a 5x5.5 bolt pattern

seem to remember something about an offset rear diff?

XJ_ranger said:
seem to remember something about an offset rear diff?
Only in the 80 series that had a Dana 18 T/C and the rear end was a Dana 27. The 800 series (pretty sure anyway) and Scout IIs had Dana 20 and Dana 300 T/Cs so the rear end was centered........Hans

Last edited:
If it's offset by a small bit, it doesn't matter. An inch or two isn't that big of a deal. Other that the wheel bolt pattern, do I have anything else to worry about? It already has 30 spline shafts, it just needs a carrier and some gears.

There's a couple theads on here with content about using a Scout 44. Based upon that I decided to use the one I have. I'm a few weeks away (perpetually) from putting it in (ARB, 4.56, WARN FF).

Couple things to know about the Scout II 44:

- about 58" wide (i.e. ~2" less than XJ)
- The tubes are indeed thinner than other 44s
- 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern (get new shafts made, redrill(?) or WARN front hubs)
- shafts are identical left to right (slight offset alluded to above).

I'm using 5" BS wheels so I may end up adding spacers for the rear. I'm not certain if the FF kit will increase the width or if rear disks may. I'm hoping that I can keep a sligthly narrower rear axle for better tracking and a slightly narrower turning circle. We'll see what happens.

I'm not terribly worried about the thin tubes. If they stand up to a IH 345 and the weight of a Scout II on 33"-35" tires it should be fine in an XJ.

HTH

Last edited:
Root Moose said:
There's a couple theads on here with content about using a Scout 44. Based upon that I decided to use the one I have. I'm a few weeks away (perpetually) from putting it in (ARB, 4.56, WARN FF).

Couple things to know about the Scout II 44:

- about 58" wide (i.e. ~2" less than XJ)
- The tubes are indeed thinner than other 44s
- 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern (get new shafts made, redrill(?) or WARN front hubs)
- shafts are identical left to right (slight offset alluded to above).

I'm using 5" BS wheels so I may end up adding spacers for the rear. I'm not certain if the FF kit will increase the width or if rear disks may. I'm hoping that I can keep a sligthly narrower rear axle for better tracking and a slightly narrower turning circle. We'll see what happens.

I'm not terribly worried about the thin tubes. If they stand up to a IH 345 and the weight of a Scout II on 33"-35" tires it should be fine in an XJ.

HTH

So does all that information apply to this being a Scout d44, and not a Scout II d44???

xjj33p3r said:
So does all that information apply to this being a Scout d44, and not a Scout II d44???

Well, I don't think so. I used to run a Scout II D44, and all of the above is spot on. I think the standard scout (800) D44's however, are like CJ width, max 56" which will probably be too tight to get your spring perches inside the backing plates (43.5 on center). The backing plates are within an inch or so of the perches even on the Scout II axle...

xj-grin said:
Well, I don't think so. I used to run a Scout II D44, and all of the above is spot on. I think the standard scout (800) D44's however, are like CJ width, max 56" which will probably be too tight to get your spring perches inside the backing plates (43.5 on center). The backing plates are within an inch or so of the perches even on the Scout II axle...
Additionally, the old style Scouts (i.e. not a Scout II) used the Dana 18 t-case which means an offset rear diff.

If the diff is centered (ok, offset ~2" to one side to accomodate identical shafts side to side) then the axle came out of a Scout II if it is being sold as a Scout axle.

IIRC, 1973 (earlier?) was the first year for the Scout II. Look it up at binderbulletin.org to be certain though if the year range is close. Post '74 is definitely a Scout II.

Back