• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

danna 44 font disc conversion

94xjkyle

NAXJA Forum User
i got a dana 44 out of an old ford truck for free, but it has drum brakes on it. what do i need to do to get disc brakes on this mother

That depends, if the knuckles look like this. Then just take everything from the outer knuckle to the hub, including the outer shaft, on a Ford or Chevy Axle with discs.

BallJoint.jpg

If the knuckles look like this, then there is not much you can do. Short of removing them and reattaching a standard ball joint style knuckle.

KingPin.jpg

everything here:
http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/discbrakes.html

now is a good time to get the flat top knuckles and Chevy brakes if you arent afraid of the 6 on 5.5

or - read up more on bolt pattern convertions...

$800 is rediculous for discs on a 44, i just did the whole set up for about $100

you need:

disc backing plates
spindles
stub shafts
hubs
calipers
rotors

you can swap the knuckles if you want, my knuckles have the studs for the backing plate and spindle about 1" off from the chevy donor axle i had, so my calipers sit in a different location, and i had to grind some off the knuckle, but it works

If you want PM me .....

I have parts from a 79 F150...
1. Knuckles - not flat top
2. Disc brake spindles
3. Caliper brakets
4. calipers for core or rebuild

Since on my HP44 I went to high steer, I am not using this stuff and would make you a good deal on it... You just need to get rotors and hubs...

Scott.

91 Jeep Project said:
If the knuckles look like this, then there is not much you can do. Short of removing them and reattaching a standard ball joint style knuckle.

KingPin.jpg

Not quite true DJ, I learned a bit when I was contemplating "our" old axle. You can do disks on a kingpin 44 outer knuckle using any 6 bolt chevy spindle (small bearing) and late model brake parts (look for conversion parts for Early Bronco Dana 30's, as they used the same knuckles). That being said, use a late model 44 if you have a choice...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have the same issue and why re-post.

Can you use everything from the knuckles out from an 80's TTB axle? I know it is a D44 center section. It would just see if the knuckles would match up to the ball joints. If so a disc brake conversion would be easy. I may also need to use the stub shaft. If anybody knows please let me know.

Matt

Back