• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you lock?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Would you EZ Locker a 1985 non C-clip Dana 35 w/ 3.73s running a 2.5L auto with 32x9.50 TSLs? Or just lock the front Dana 30 for now and save the money for an 8.8 this winter and new gears?

barillms said:
Would you EZ Locker a 1985 non C-clip Dana 35 w/ 3.73s running a 2.5L auto with 32x9.50 TSLs? Or just lock the front Dana 30 for now and save the money for an 8.8 this winter and new gears?

If you're planning on upgrading the rear axle over the winter than I'd go with the D30 locker and not sink any $ Into the 35.

Don't lock the front yet and use the money for the rear swap.

I'm getting a front Dana 30 and a rear Dana 35 EZ Locker for free - I don't know whether to install both of them and wheel until the 35 breaks, or sell the 35 EZ locker and use the money for an 8.8.

depends on your time, how long till you start your swap? You said winter so a couple months? Then sell it and save for the new rear. If it's next winter, ie a year, then use it and have fun. A couple months without the rear locked wouldn't be a big deal.

Depends. Can you afford to do the 8.8 now if you sell the locker?
If not, go ahead lock it, wheel it while building the 8.8, break it, and replace it with the, hopefully done by then, 8.8.

It really depends on how serious off-road you are. If you want to rock crawl, and soon, you should go ahead and lock up the front and the rear, so you can actually climb, though you will probably break the 35. As i'm typing this I'm thinkin' more and more about the fact that the 35 sucks. You really should invest in the swap. I was going to type a comparison, but IMO, just stick to the trail rides until you can do the swap, gears, lockers, etc.

My guess is that you haven't been blessed with the experience of being locked up, so what difference is there?If you do know about that, grit your teeth for a little while and have a blast once you can do it right! :D

with free lockers and a reason to take your junk apart and put it back together and learn something about it - hell yeah id lock both ends...

i dont know what everyone's problem is with using free UPGRADE parts...

then sell them later when/if you upgrade

i have a friend with a c-clip d35 in a 95 YJ with the 2.5L and the auto on 33's with a no-slip that has survived for 5+ years and taken everything that he has thrown at it...

learn how to work on your junk, and know how to fix any problems as tehy come...

lock em up and have fun...

XJ_ranger said:
with free lockers and a reason to take your junk apart and put it back together and learn something about it - hell yeah id lock both ends...

i dont know what everyone's problem is with using free UPGRADE parts...

then sell them later when/if you upgrade

i have a friend with a c-clip d35 in a 95 YJ with the 2.5L and the auto on 33's with a no-slip that has survived for 5+ years and taken everything that he has thrown at it...

learn how to work on your junk, and know how to fix any problems as tehy come...

lock em up and have fun...
Exactly. That's what I was getting at in my post above. If you can't afford to build your new axle, even with the money from selling the locker, then by all means use it.
A couple years ago I found a Detroit for my 35 for $250.
I wheeled it for a year or so, knowing that if/when it broke it would be no big deal. I could always get my money out of it and even if not, who cares, it was $250.
It never did break and I ended up selling the whole axle for $300 after building an 8.8.

Polish a turd? Sure if it's cheap polish.
A polished turd still works better than an unpolished one.

Back