• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ - Gas tank anti-siphoning screen?

Wolf

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a screen or something on the 2000 XJs to prevent someone from sticking a tube in and siphoning your gas?

I've heard some newer cars have this.

I was going to drain the tank (on my 2000 XJ Sport) before I pulled it, but couldn't get the siphon hose to go in, so there might be some sort of screen or grid built in.

Since I had a full tank to deal with, I went down to Harbor Freight and got a motorcycle/ATV jack for $60. Worked like a charm. Works great when you're re-installing the tank, too.

If you're pulling the tank, there's a great post on jeepforum, with pictures:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138580&highlight=fuel

Wolf said:
Is there a screen or something on the 2000 XJs to prevent someone from sticking a tube in and siphoning your gas?
lockcap.jpg

x2 :laugh3: :laugh3:

Asking because last night at work, security ran off some guys who were trying to steal gas from my Jeep. :mad:

Just wanna know if they'd even be able to get a tube into the tank?

Around here they just spike the bottom of the tank and let it drain out.

It's not a screen, it's actually a check ball. It's located in the end of the filler tube in the tank. If you ever hear a rattling/gurgling coming from the gas tank when you're between 3/4 and full, it's the check ball moving back and forth in the filler tube.

98JeepXJ said:
It's not a screen, it's actually a check ball. It's located in the end of the filler tube in the tank. If you ever hear a rattling/gurgling coming from the gas tank when you're between 3/4 and full, it's the check ball moving back and forth in the filler tube.
And the check ball will prevent a siphoning tube? :yelclap:

When the price of gas went up over $3.00 I considered a locking cap but then realized its like locking a cash register. If you leave it open they'll take what they're after. If you lock it they'll destroy it and still take what they're after so I'm safer leaving well enough alone.

yardape said:
When the price of gas went up over $3.00 I considered a locking cap but then realized its like locking a cash register. If you leave it open they'll take what they're after. If you lock it they'll destroy it and still take what they're after so I'm safer leaving well enough alone.
True, and I hate having to deal with a lock when I get gas.

Aparently the chekc ball is there for rollovers alos, so when you roll itgas doesnt go everywhere.

I have a locking gas cap, but mine is for people putting shit IN my tank. Im still in highschool and I have heard some bad stories.

+1 for a locking cap, but someone who really wants gas (like in NO a while back...) will just drill the tank.

summitlt said:
Aparently the chekc ball is there for rollovers alos, so when you roll itgas doesnt go everywhere.
B.S. on that one.... I had gas pouring out.
If a ball is floating around in there it will go to the top of the tank when you are upside down, which is now the bottom of the tank.... :dunce:

rolled_yellow.jpg

I was able to siphon gas out of mine when I needed gas for my tractor one day and was too lazy to go to the gas station with the jerry can.

Back