• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rub it in

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
ok tell me how much fun it was. i hope everyone made it there and back safe. a little trail damage is ok. sorry i could not make it."so hit me with your best shot" post both good and bad stories.

It was the best one yet...and yeah there was a lot of trail damage but we all had a good time....Thanks to all that made it and CU you all back again next year...

It was awsome! And there was some campground damage too Kudzu! Thanks everyone it was great to meet all of you and I hope to see you on the trail soon!

2offroad said:
ok tell me how much fun it was. i hope everyone made it there and back safe. a little trail damage is ok. sorry i could not make it."so hit me with your best shot" post both good and bad stories.

Don't feel too bad, I'm Zero for 2 events this year.

I missed NACfest in June cause the Jeep broke + all the rain, and I missed Tellico because of work.

One of these days I'm gonna make it to an event....(I know I can, I know I can, I know I can...)

John

I had a pure ball all weekend! I agree with Heather that this was the best Crawl yet. Lots of new faces and plenty of veterans from the two past Tellico XJ Fests and last year's Cherokee Crawl.

The 350 mile journey & return was uneventful but the Jeep was a reluctant road-tripper.

My carnage tally was nothing on Thursday ;)

On Friday afternoon I blew both back beads out (within maybe 15 seconds of each other) and ruined a good 31" swamper in a sorry little mudhole with logs in it. Thanks to Danno for the use of a virgin 32" MT spare (and for having an onboard welder)

Saturday the looney-group ran up 11 and we came down Schoolbus. Approaching Guardrail I bent my D/S rear door (upper rear corner) backing into a tree root. 15 feet further took out the rear glass on a rock?root and took out a marker light somewhere.

Dancing around on the staircase rocks, I scronked my quarters & bumper, plus put a "3-plug" hole in my other spare tire. Found out the hatch is wedged shut.

Coming down Schoolbus Hill we hit a root with the D/S A pillar, and B pillar. Spidered the windshield & bent the window channel between the R slider and fixed door window. Good thing the rear glass checked out earlier.

Tellico took a few bites out of my junk, but it was worth it to me to wheel some mountain trails with some great folks.

Since I wasn't the only other :viking: out there wheelin, I want to hear others share their own carnage tales.

This was our first NAXJA event and we had a blast. Thanks to everyone for being so hospitable. We had no damage to report, just a lot of fun! We have some good pics.....how do I get them on here? e-mail me at [email protected] and I will post them!

Jim and Bonnie.....Patch and Louie too!

Welp, I only made it as far as Chapel Hill tonight. Right around Winston-Salem I thought a helicopter was gonna land on my roof. So I pulled my known to be worn front DS. Well, it was better, at least the dash wasn't rattling itself to pieces, but the helicopter was still over my head(but only when on the gas, not when coasting). So I called up Keith(Motorman) and asked if I could borrow the use of his garage for a bit. I pulled in and looked in the rear, and to my surprise, there doesn't appear to be a damn thing wrong with it, no play in the u-joints, no slop in the pinion, nothin. So I decide to pull the rear DS and re-install the front DS and see if it goes away. Well, it did, but I discovered that 55k miles of me driving + 1 weekend at Tellico = bye bye axle u-joints. Time to pull the front end apart and swap shafts. Somethin told me to order those 5-760s for my spare shafts last week, glad I did. Assembled the spares in Keith's basement(it's handy having a big ole vice around to do such things) and then swapped 'em into the Heep. Well, all is back together and I'm gonna limp it the last 4 hours home tomorrow in front wheel drive. I'm hopin the gears are the problem and hopin they're not at the same time. On the one hand I've got 4.56s and an ARB to put in, but on the other, I don't have any money to pay for the install. We'll see what it is when I get home. Anyway, aside from my little adventure tonight I had a blast. no damage to speak of, just a little rock rash on my purdy wheels and a torn up BW. Hope to see you all next year, and maybe in Moab(although I'll prolly be Jeepless if I make it out there, can't take the time to drive out and back). Thanks everyone for makin it such a great event. Peace

Ary

P.S. A BIG thanks to Keith Douglas for so graciously letting me use his garage for the evening. :)

Hey,I'll jump in here.
I'll start off saying thank you to the people that helped out and we had a great time.
My damage started on thursday on upper 2 with the loss
of the left rear bushwhacker flare (again!)
and got the left rear tail light also.

Friday, on the way in to slickrock I got the right rear
bushwhacker flare, then going up slickrock made it just a little way and horse shoed the tierod, so we winched up and got
over to the side so others could try their luck, I changed the tierod and started on up slickrock when all of a sudden POW!!
and everyone said in unison (WHAT WAS THAT?),it sounded like stereo.
My winch control had bounced out of the door handle
landed on the switch which engaged the winch and tighted up
till the cable broke and the hook wet flying luckly not hitting anyone.
After we checked that out I started to go on up and then
needed the winch which had a broke cable so I tied the end of the cable into a bowlen knot,yes a knot with a loop and put
the hook back on and then winched on up finally,
(What a day!!!)

And then on Saturday going up to guardrail I got the left rear
glass on a root/rock and some roof damage just above the glass and on the way up the stair case broke the
inner axle shaft on the D30 disco and then winched on up to the top.

After we got back to camp I noticed something leaking down on the front diff, checked it out and it was antifreeze.
I haven't had time to find out where it is coming from though.
Also the rear leafs are really S shaped now for some reason?

But it was all well worth it.
I now have reasons to get some
new and improved things I want.
The rockrails really got a work out coming down schoolbus also.
I'll get some pics up in a day or two.

I broke a rear 60 shaft??????? I believe that the insane abuse of Tellico's tougher trails is too much fun.\

Everything is leaking a little worse than before. All of my heims are pretty well and finished off. I took a chunk out of one of the newer swampers. One of my hubs has a cracked body. There's no way I'm doin' anymore wheelin' on any of these ujoints either. That's just precautionary, but I think it's a wise choice after this weekend.

Sean

The wife and I had a blast too. Just got in and got the power on in the house again. Had to take my front drive shaft out around Macon cause the front axle yoke is now loose(?) That fixxed the vibes I had. I didnt really hurt any thing but this was my first tellico experience and just was happy my junk and the wifes jeep drove there, rode some trails, and rode home. The wife got a bit of rock rash on her pretty rims and bent the bottom of one of her step bars. Have got a lot to fix and improve for next time. Great to meet everyone and put faces on the screen names. The whole family says hi and thanks for the great experience. Will be there next time.

i had a great time. thanks to all who helped with my "drive" up slick rock. breakage= bent sheet metal a taco'd tie rod, and a busted frame cracked in 2 places around the gear box. but i got home safe thanks to sean for welding up the cracks.

i really had a great time..

& i want to extend a big *thank you* to everyone especially those that i rode w/ Thurs & Fri (group led by Kevin) ...

hope to see & wheel w/ you all again soon..

Well, now to hear from the guy that got the carnage award...

Thursday, my day ended before I got to the trail head, my elect fan seized and I over heated, just the beginning of my heating problems.

Friday on lower 2, I started to smoke my tranny, which continued to give me problems the rest of the weekend, winched where everyone else did on that trail so I feel good, that trail "rocks"!!!, I did winch down lower 2 as well cuz I needed to catch up and my tranny wouldn't turn any of my tires. Knocked a front tire off the bead in a mud hole on the way back to camp.

Sat is where it got fun, going to guardrail, I was the third in a row to take out my rear glass on the same rock as Woody and Mark, I saved my stickers tho. Made it half way up guardrail when I started to loose a bead on my rear wheel, One Ton said go and I went, climbing the rock with both front tires in the air, so I was told. Then, helicopter pad, this was a bad deal for me, I was really hitting that with alot of skinny pedal and ended up breaking my pinion shaft of my 9", winch time. during winching up, my already bent tierod bent the rest of the way making a trail fix manditory with the jeep setting at almost 70* up hill. Thanks to Sean again for his help and the help of a couple other Jeeps to get my tierod straight (sort of) and Mike for the use of his welder to put some strength back into it with a piece of angle. Back together and up the hill to remove my rear DS. On the way back to camp, late for supper (again) in front wheel drive I took out my rear tail light (LED's) on a root, then down school bus I then had another flat, which the use of a small compresser I was back on the road, once we hit the gravel, One Ton and I were driving hard, me in front wheel drive, simulating an east coast Jeep Speed event, once we hit the pavement and headed up hill I heard a noise from the front end and my XJ wasn't running very well, I baked the motor. Woody pulled me back to camp and we ate, drank beer, watched videos and slept (I slept when the video of Sean was on) :D

Made it home around midnight, 16 hours with all the accidents and road work.

Thanks to EVERYONE, had a great time, very costly but what the hell, it was fun and I rode alot of the hard core stuff and made it, you have to expect to break when you put your junk throught what I did, besides, I always break, just now bigger parts.

I believe my motor is cooked too, no oil pressure below 1000 rpms.

Dan, sorry about egging on the full throttle assualts. It is Tellico though. Chark, if you're reading this- I didn't giggle at this breakage.

Oh yeah, Angie and I were coniving against you while you were sleeping, so it's all good :D

Sean

Made it home in fine fashion, although a bit exhausted.

I got out okay carnage wise. I've got a newly designed pass side fender courtesy of X-Terrain (new I should have trimmed that more), a broken stub shaft, and my first visible rock rash without crawling underneath.

Thanks to everyone who made this the best XJ Crawl yet for me. 3 out of 4 aint bad attendance.

And I got a lesson in southern English.....

See you-uns(sp?) in Moab:)

Crunch

Come awn Mike, it's Y'uns. Glad to see you made it home. A few of us have decided that you didn't blow a stub shaft, we believe it to be a hub.

WOW....I feel very lucky that we came out with NO damage and we don't even have rocker panels on yet. Whew! I have some great pics but can't get them on here! Someone tell me how to post them and I will be happy to....otherwise email us at [email protected] and I will send them to ya.

Ghost....glad you made it home in one piece, it was nice ridin part of the way with you.

Jim and Bonnie

:D Man...sounds like alot of breakage. Was it wet? Only Jeepin' I did this weekend was the delivery of a frt. high pinion 60 and a 60 rear that I had gathered up for another project....but passed them along to NAXJA brother Ron Stevik. It seems big blue is due for an upgrade. Sean, lets head to Paragon before long. Later and glad everyone stayed upright!! Chark

I got a few new dents and scrapes on various trails. I've got quite a good collection of 'em going,so I don't bother remembering where they came from any more. :laugh: I had a blast,though! Definately better than last year for me,mainly because of the SE Chapter. I knew more folks this year and was more relaxed in the environment. :D Slickrock was awesome,even though I had to winch most of the way up it. Almost rolled it a couple of times on the upper portion of the Slickrock trail. Got to camp that night and managed to snatch the motor off of my winch trying to get the cable untangled from the drum :mad: But it's fixable :D so it's all good! Oh yeah! I made it accross the "baby section" of the rock garden at Crawford's on Saturday,and NOBODY was around to see it :( I got some pics,though! Ghost,what can I say? You definately would get the "patience" award if there was one! Good try on the rock garden,and I'll be OTLO for a new axle shaft for ya! See you all,or whoever shows up,this October at the "Fall Flog"!!!!

Back