• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok, searched 2" lifts and didn't find it

JT_Law

NAXJA Forum User
Now I gotta break down, ask, put up wit the bs, and sort the real answers outa the crap that i'll no doubt catch for asking anything
thefinger.gif

Will soon be aquiring a 90XJ. GF's old DD, she is gettin a ZJ, and I have a 98XJ to use for DD/Tow rig.

The 90's gonna need engine help, having been once heated to siezeup then fired up with no smoking after cooled off, and a solution to the clunk under left foot on bumps in left turns thing soon, but I have all winter for that as it is going to be a trail rig only.

Just to get by over the winter while I save up for a "real" lift I am thinking about 2 or 3" lift using spacers and blocks with some trimming so I can get 31's under it. It has 30's now with no lift (GF's DD lol), but I want to move the 30's to my DD and stick my new 31's in.

Will 2" do the trick or should I go 3"?
If 3" then do I need a CV or a t-case drop? Shocks & Brake Lines?

Any tips on installing and/or machining blocks and spacers? (I have a cnc shop)

Again, this is just to get it thru the winter while I work up $ for a 3.5 or 4.5RE

The only thing I don't like about her rig is that selectrac (selecrap) t-case, I like the 231 in my 98 better
smile.gif

Anyway,now that ya'll have something to laugh about while pointing fingers thanks in advance for the real tips,
thefinger.gif

Oh wait, I just realised, ignore the snippy parts. Forgot I wasn't posting this on Pirate :laugh3:

With a 2in. lift you most likely have to trim. The tires will rub the lower control arms when you do a tight turn. With that combo you should change your bumpstops so you dont damage anything when you stuff the tires. A good three inch lift and proper back spacing will most likely solve these problems. Dont forget the bumpstops. Good luck.

A '90 should be similar to my '89 lifting-wise.

I would go with a "Rock Lizard" style Budget Boost, like adding another couple leaves from a stock leaf pack to the rear leaves, and a 1.75" coil spacer and ZJ V8 coils to the front. You could also add a comanche shackle for like another .75" to the rear. You can trim this up (since it's gonna be just winter/trail rig) with an angle grinder and cut off wheel from harbor freight (~$30) and fit 33s if you bumptop the rear enough. You would need to cut to fit TJ flares to fit that large of tires. You could easily fit 31-32" tires with the cut/fold method of trimming.

You can take the front brakeline body mount bolt/screw out and straighten the brake line or replace them with TJ brakelines. (I kept original and haven't brake a line yet) The stock shocks will actully "work", the front will limit your flex, but it doesn't bother me, the rear should really be replaced, but mine have been working "ok" and my rear doesn't flex much.

The earlier XJs are more prone to not need an SYE or TC drop, I haven't known anyone with an older than 93 XJ needing one up to 4" lift.

Hoep this helps, it's what I did and it worked great for me so far.

DSC03507.jpg

Yellow Xj in front is mine, setup as described above.

Last edited:
After 3" is where you spend more $ with needing a new track bar, control arms, SYE etc etc. Stay with a 2-3" lift and trim as needed. You can easily fit 31's with a 2" bb on the street, it's when you wheel where you could use some trimming. Also the 96'+ Np231 t-cases had a different slip yoke and are more prone to vibrations and needing a SYE at a lower height than the earlier models.

Troy

Last edited:
Back