• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case questions.

veteran1

NAXJA Forum User
I put a RE 3.5 lift on my 92 xj and i have some driveline vibrations at around 35 mph and on braking. I called RE and they suggested a t-case lowering kit. Could someone give me a complete rundown on the install, I keep reading about the shifter lever or something to that effect? I installed the lift myself even though i am a newbie and all seems ok except problem described above. I insist on finishing this project myself, but need help! Thanks!

veteran1 said:
I put a RE 3.5 lift on my 92 xj and i have some driveline vibrations at around 35 mph and on braking. I called RE and they suggested a t-case lowering kit. Could someone give me a complete rundown on the install, I keep reading about the shifter lever or something to that effect? I installed the lift myself even though i am a newbie and all seems ok except problem described above. I insist on finishing this project myself, but need help! Thanks!

They didn't suggest a SYE?

RE did not recommend SYE. I am going to try and get away without one for now (budget). Anybody know about unbolting shifter lever before i lower t-case?

veteran1 said:
RE did not recommend SYE. I am going to try and get away without one for now (budget). Anybody know about unbolting shifter lever before i lower t-case?

I didnt, but there is one nut that holds the shifter "flag" on - something like a 10mm IIRC...

not too bad.

veteran1 said:

The first things I'd look at (not really any order but) are:

Driveline angles: Buy or borrow an angle finder ($10ish for a cheap one) park the Jeep-with a "normal" load- on flat ground and get the pinion squared up so you have a flat edge to measure from. Pop the hood and set the angle finder on the valve cover... it should be a few degrees sloping down towards the back. This is the apprx angle of the transfer case rear output. Measure the front and rear pinion angles opposite (sloping up). The relationship of these numbers will help tell you where to go from here.

Check the condition of your motor and trans mounts. If these are recent, you are good...If not, plan to swap them out (all 3 at once)

Same for the u-joints in the driveshaft(s.) If they are old, the "new" operating angle of the lift might be upsetting them... I'd remove the front shaft right away to rule it out, then proceed. Again, if you have to, service or swap all the joints on each shaft at one time.

Adding some shims/spacers to the crossmember (what TC case lowering kits do) also reduces ground clearance, and may disturb the 'set' of an existing case skid. Worst of all, it changes the angle of the front pinion relationship in a negative way. If I had to drop the X-member for whatever reason, I'd surely put a fresh tranny mount in it.

Back