• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gots the 4.0L and wants electronics??

Jeepernick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.0L I6 in my Jeep cherokee(XJ) it is a 96 engine but the rig is a 91,

OK so i am looking to buy new wires plugs coils blah blah... I have no idea which ones are good

Which ones are good?

Who runs a package deal or pair parts and swears by it?

What size wires 10mm, 8mm,...?

i dont need a tune up package just the wires and plugs and coil and what not

Thanks guys

Jeepernick said:
I have a 4.0L I6 in my Jeep cherokee(XJ) it is a 96 engine but the rig is a 91,

OK so i am looking to buy new wires plugs coils blah blah... I have no idea which ones are good

Which ones are good?

Who runs a package deal or pair parts and swears by it?

What size wires 10mm, 8mm,...?

i dont need a tune up package just the wires and plugs and coil and what not

Thanks guys
For what year electronics? 91 is much different that 96 you can't mix and match.

I am using the Injection system off the 91 engine and the wiring harness

But that has nothing to do with coils and wires and spark plugs, RIGHT? All that stuff is 96, the 96 came with everything(I removed the 96 injection and put on the 91) and i installed it in the jeep(months ago) and now would like to upgrade the wires ect to have better starting** and running

thanks

Jeepernick said:
I am using the Injection system off the 91 engine and the wiring harness

But that has nothing to do with coils and wires and spark plugs, RIGHT? All that stuff is 96, the 96 came with everything(I removed the 96 injection and put on the 91) and i installed it in the jeep(months ago) and now would like to upgrade the wires ect to have better starting** and running

thanks
I use Napa parts, their stuff is always OEM or better.

langer1 said:
I use Napa parts, their stuff is always OEM or better.

Well i was hoping to get a little more then OEM, like MSD kits or something, more proformance and better starting is what i am looking for

Jeepernick said:
Well i was hoping to get a little more then OEM, like MSD kits or something, more proformance and better starting is what i am looking for
Waste of money on a stock engine, don't fall for the hipe.
The stock coil and ignition pack is already MSD type.

X2 with Langer. I broke my coil but had use of an MSD one 'til I got another. I did not see any difference between the MSD and the one I got from NAPA. I also wondered if the MSD coil was supposed to be so much better then why was it cheaper that the NAPA one (by around $20)

OK well that helps me, I am not really sure about this kinda stuff and I have been trying to find ways to get my jeep to start faster, I was told to replace the wires cap rotor plugs so on, so i most likly will in time and see if it helps at all and if not then at least i can say i have it :D

Thanks

Jeepernick said:
OK well that helps me, I am not really sure about this kinda stuff and I have been trying to find ways to get my jeep to start faster, I was told to replace the wires cap rotor plugs so on, so i most likly will in time and see if it helps at all and if not then at least i can say i have it :D

Thanks
Long crank times with the Renix system are normal, and very little will change it.
The Renix computer has no memory and has to set the timing on every start.
It counts pulses from the CPS AND CKP inputs and only after a minimum of three revolutions will it turn the fuel on.
Some times a weak fuel pump will add to the time it takes because the pressure has not built up.

Back