• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex a Lite Fan (not electric)

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I searched, but only found info on elec. fans. I think my fan clutch fan is going out and instead of replacing the clutch, I was pondering the idea of a flex fan because it looks to be cheaper to do. I have a few questions on the subject....

1. With the 4.0 serpitine system, is the water pump reverse rotation?
2. Has anyone done this before? If so.....
3. Which fan did you use or which one would you suggest?
4. What size fan spacer?
5. What are the Advantages/Disadvantages of doing this?

I ran a flexalite for a few days. Made way too much noise. The serp belt water pump on the 4.0L is called a reverse rotation.

old_man said:
I ran a flexalite for a few days. Made way too much noise. The serp belt water pump on the 4.0L is called a reverse rotation.

If you don't mind, could you tell me the set up you had? Part nos. if possible. How loud are we talking?

Don't remember the numbers, its been a couple of years. It made a roar that was real irratating. Many times louder than the motor.

Dont even consider it if you do any water crossings,dont even want to confess to the radiator damage(s) Ive done with such set-up's.

They are really bad idea on a 4wd. Not only do they have a bad habit of loosing blades as they get older but their design is totally wrong for a 4wd. They are made to flatten the blades as revs rise to give you more horse power. That also means it pulls less air then too. That is fine on a road car where road speed would be great enough to over come the loss of air flow and they dont sit at the high revs very long at all. But in a 4wd in low range, you can be sitting at high revs with very little road speed and labouring the engine hard to get out of a mud hole or climbing a long steep hill, and the fan is REDUCING the air flow at this critical time!

Dont do it, for ricers only.

Back