• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple of questions from the new guy

BDHershey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone!

First post so I'll try not to sound too stupid. Most of my automotive knowledge is from wrenching on my Mustangs in highschool and college. I don't have too much 4x4 expereince.

I have a 99 Cherokee Sport 4x4 I purchased new in 99. Love it. I am interested in doing some very minor upgrades. I would like to add some KC or Hella driving lights utilizing a Bumper Thumper type setup. I'm having a hard time finding what I want. I can find crap tons of stuff for CJ's, Wranglers, Grand Cherokee's, and Liberty's but not too much for the XJ. I had seen the Smittybuilt "Bumper Thumper" at 4wd.com but the one review wasn't very favorable. This vehicle is my daily driver, and while it sees a good bit of off-road driving, none of it is very serious. I don't do a lot of mud-runnin and rock-crawlin, but do go off the beaten path when hunting and occasionally in the mountains near my in-laws cabin. No plans to mount a winch to this, just some mild front end protection and light mounting. Strong enough to help me pull out if stuck would be a plus though.

Also I am looking to maybe lift my XJ in the future. Nothing serious again, just maybe 2". This is both for capability as I'd like to be able to put a slightly larger tire on, and for appearance. I was looking at a 4wd.com or Rocky Road Budget kit.

Your tips and suggestions are appreciated!

-Hershey

Last edited:
Welcome!

Just out of curiousity, have you checked any of the sponsors here yet? There are quite a few that do bumpers and such, and one (AJ's Offroad, IIRC) will do a "whatever you want" or make mods to spec to the designs he offers.

If you're going to think about pulling or being pulled, it's going to be pretty important that this bumper gets tied on using a little more than the stock/OEM mounting. While the OEM bumper and mount points are fine for flat towing on-road using a towbar, you'll want a little more if you're stuck. Ditto on the back. Have you considered adding front/rear tow receivers? Then, you just get a shackle mount on a 2" shank, and stick it in when you need it.

For a lift, you sound like a candidate for a BB (budget boost,) since you don't get into crawling, and it just sounds like you want a little more tyre space and ground clearance. 2" should give you room for 30's, 31's maybe (depending on your driving and if you feel like getting friendly with a Sawzall.) NOTE - don't be surprised if you get driveline vibes, even with the low lift. When the XJ was restyled for 1997, there were some changes made to the tcase output that can result in vibes even with short lifts. Eliminate using either a tcase drop (OK) or a SYE (slip yoke eliminator - preferred.)

Somehow I think that if you find a design you like for your bumper and call them directly - to tell them you want light tabs - you might be able to come to a mutually beneficial arrangement - the worst they can do is say No, right?

5-90

Thanks for the suggesstions, any reccomendations on manufacturers of the lift kits? Details? Any particular bumpers to look into? I think the receivers are the way to go for the pulling if stuck. Any suggestions for simple low cost front end guard? I'll certainly start looking into the sponsors here! Had any particularly good dealings with anyone?

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

-Hershey

Welcome... Always glad to see new people on here.
Anyhow, when it comes to the front bumper, my honest opinion is that those add on's are a waste of money. If you do get one, they really don't offer that much more protection, let alone towing points. You can mount fog lights on the factory bumper and just run your own wiring, this is what I have had for a long time. Then, if you look on ebay or on here, you can find factory tow points (just do a search of "tow brackets") With the uunibody, the brackets have to tie in at several different points to make it rigid enough to pull.
imho, the best option is to find a aftermarket bumper assembly.
check this link out.
http://www.nates4x4.com/catalog/pro...id=37&osCsid=e6365de7e605e592c468b68276f7ef7a

I am by no means endorsing nate's 4x4, but giving you an example.
and so you know, if you serach for it, you will find it
good luck
jamie

i almost forgot.. here's a few links on lifts..
www.rustysoffroad.com
www.rubiconexpress.com
once again, i recomend doing a search or just browsing through the modified section. Also you can look at different lifts under the jeep picture showcase section

Last edited:
Just got rearended Friday, so it looks like the rear bumper will be the first to go. I'm thinking a Tomken with built-in receiver because it will retain the factory end caps for what I feel is better asthetics. I get a stronger bumper, a receiver hitch, and maintain the look I prefer. Anyone know of any issues with these? Also who makes a good receiver for the front?

Thanks guys!

-Hershey

Back