• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutout/spit/sputter in reverse

88XJ_FireFighter said:
I thought about those two last night. Wouldn't fuel related effect driving forward too? Motor seems to be sitting staight.
I think you need to make some tests first, theory alone can't fix it.

Check your bellhousing bolts. I ran into a gent a few years ago with a similar problem. When he was moving in reverse, the CPS would move and fail to pick up the notches on the flywheel/flexplate. Going forward was apparently no problem.

ChiXJeff said:
Check your bellhousing bolts. I ran into a gent a few years ago with a similar problem. When he was moving in reverse, the CPS would move and fail to pick up the notches on the flywheel/flexplate. Going forward was apparently no problem.
what he said...

and check your battery too... strange enough i had a battery in a truck once that when backing up it was loose, and it would turn the negative cable off the post and cause the engine to cut....

2 idears for the testing....
good lucks...

ChiXJeff said:

I won't ask, just tell me how. I'm dumb.........

88XJ_FireFighter said:
I will go out shortly and stand on the brake while giving it gas in reverse.

I did this and same thing. Just seems to cut in and out as soon as I get on the gas in reverse. I can idle in reverse and its fine. Just when gas is applied.

88XJ_FireFighter said:
I did this and same thing. Just seems to cut in and out as soon as I get on the gas in reverse. I can idle in reverse and its fine. Just when gas is applied.
Have someone watch the engine when you reverse with the brakes on and see if it moves, also put a wench on the bolts. A cracked bellhousing could also cause it. We know it's not in the gas tank now.
I'm betting on lose bellhousing bolts or a cracked bellhousing.

langer1 said:
Have someone watch the engine when you reverse with the brakes on and see if it moves, also put a wench on the bolts. A cracked bellhousing could also cause it. We know it's not in the gas tank now.
I'm betting on lose bellhousing bolts or a cracked bellhousing.

Bellhousing...?? Help me out langer1. I'm not a big engine guy yet.

MIne used to do this. When I brought it in for a TC change we found I had a cracked flexplate. While waiting for the plate to be delivered we did a little PM, found the bolts were missing out of my airtube where it mounts on the TB, replaced them and flexplate checked wiring for CPS, put it all back together and never had the "cut-out" in reverse again.

dizzymac said:
MIne used to do this. When I brought it in for a TC change we found I had a cracked flexplate. While waiting for the plate to be delivered we did a little PM, found the bolts were missing out of my airtube where it mounts on the TB, replaced them and flexplate checked wiring for CPS, put it all back together and never had the "cut-out" in reverse again.
He said he don't know what a bellhouseing is, so a TC TB and flexplate is not going to help him much. Sounds like he's not a do it yourselfer just yet.

My Bad....TC=Transfer Case......TB=Throttle Body.....CPS=Crank Position Sensor.......Flexplate= Flywheel in auto trans. vehicle.....PM-Preventive Maintainence.........SAT= Sorry About That ...lol

langer1 said:
He said he don't know what a bellhouseing is, so a TC TB and flexplate is not going to help him much. Sounds like he's not a do it yourselfer just yet.

I have been a do it myselfer so far. Swapped my TC last weekend. I'm learning though. So, by the way it sounds is that I have to inspect my bellhousing. Can I run it up on ramps and check?

How do I check the flexplate?

EDIT: I searched. There is an inspection cover that I can take off. Will that allow me access to the bolts to tighten if they are loose?

Last edited:
Back