• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Factory SunRoof Leaks...What to look for?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I'm doing two jobs at once on my '89 Laredo...repairing the headliner and trying to fix a leak in the factory sunroof. Regarding the sunroof, it will leak mostly if I'm driving and make a sharp turn...turn right I get a wet lap...turn left my passenger gets a wet lap. Doesn't really leak that much if Jeep is parked or driving straight.

I first pulled off the main rubber gasket around the sunroof that helps hold the headliner to the roof/sunroof. I then pulled the headliner out...more work than I thought...be very careful as it's very fragile!

I noticed four drain tubes coming out of the corners and also a built-in rubber gasket that I'm guessing really seals it and is part of the whole frame...I think?

In my search on NAXJA I found to check the tubes for blockage which I will do later today. Is there anything else I need to look at? Is the built-in rubber gasket replaceable and could it be the culprit? Could the main rubber gasket be the problem...it looks ok to me.

I also read while back, I'm not sure where, that there was a recall on sunroofs for leaking....but for later '90 model Jeeps. Don't know what was fixed but would like to know if it would help me.

Many thanks!

John V.

Use a water hose to find just where it's leaking.
It sounds to me like the seals are bad. Water is leaking in faster than it can drain away, I would get new seals the old ones are no doubt hard and shrunk up.

Last edited:
Thanks Langer1!

Ok I did some exploring.

The drivers side drain was plugged-up, but the passenger side was fine. That might be part of the problem but I checked closer and the built-in gasket/seal looks like it's shot. The bigger trim gasket/seal looks fine.

It looks like I will have to remove the whole sunroof frame to install a new built-in gasket....correct?

I see the frame is attached with star bolts (Looks like a Torks screwdriver). What's the proper name of the star bolts?

I'm going to check for prices now...wish me luck.

Check if something prevents it from closing properly before buying all that stuff. Mine leaked only once during the year and a half that I owned it. Opening and closing it fixed the problem. Did not bother to investigate further. If you do need to replace the seals, please post a link to the place you found them. Thanks

Boris

I have the same factory pop up sunroof in an 87 MJ. Same symptoms. Find when sitting, drips a little when cornering. I've yet to find a replacement gasket, was considering making my own using some silicon and vaseline on the glass as a release agent.

Hmm...I hope I can find a replacement gasket.

It seems like in a couple of the corners the gasket/seal is pulled back exposing an area for water to travel into. I'm wondering if all else fails is run a series of short tubes into the groove to push the lips out and under the glass.

I'm busy tomorrow so will not have time to call dealer. Will shoot some pictures to show all what I'm talking about in a few days.

Right now it's duct-taped-up! Should never leak again!

Ok I went to the dealer and the part is the called the inner seal, not gasket.

Are you ready for the price? $180.00!!!!!

Time to bring out the silicon because there is no way in hell I'm going to spend that much on something I will never open.

Question about silicon? Can I use 100% clear silicon or would black silicon seal it better? or is there something better?

Many thanks!

I haven't taken it out yet to see how it seals. I was simply going to coat the glass with vaseline, put down a small bead of silicon clear and shut to sunroof to squeeze it out. Then cut off the excess. Should work to seal a warped/cracked gasket.

That should work.

My seal is curled back on a couple of the corners, the rest seems fine.

I might silicon the crap out of it and bedone with it. I don't think I'll be opening the roof again.

Back