• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit and a AX-15

holeshot

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this has been beaten to death but I didnt find a straight answer when searching. I am thinking of buying a D44 that is pre built for the rear of my 93 XJ. 4.0L, 5 spd, 5.5" lift, 32's. D30 front (open). The D44 has a Detroit, 5.13 Superior gears, Superior Alloy Shafts, Zj disc Conversion. My main question is about the Detroit in a manual on DD situations. For the heck of it, today I acctually thought about how I drive. It seems as though I am always accelerating through turns or shifting while turning. This might change once i ditch the 3.07 gears but we'll see. I plan on changing the gears to either 4.56 or 4.88 to accomadote 35's (opinion is welcome). I understand that a person can learn to drive safe with a locker but will it be an issue when having my gf drive it for whatever reason. We usually get some snow in the winter and not sure if I want something in the rear that will cause driveability problems. I have heard plenty of people say the detroit is not an issue with an automatic but what about the manual? Thanks.

holeshot said:
I am sure this has been beaten to death but I didnt find a straight answer when searching. I am thinking of buying a D44 that is pre built for the rear of my 93 XJ. 4.0L, 5 spd, 5.5" lift, 32's. D30 front (open). The D44 has a Detroit, 5.13 Superior gears, Superior Alloy Shafts, Zj disc Conversion. My main question is about the Detroit in a manual on DD situations. For the heck of it, today I acctually thought about how I drive. It seems as though I am always accelerating through turns or shifting while turning. This might change once i ditch the 3.07 gears but we'll see. I plan on changing the gears to either 4.56 or 4.88 to accomadote 35's (opinion is welcome). I understand that a person can learn to drive safe with a locker but will it be an issue when having my gf drive it for whatever reason. We usually get some snow in the winter and not sure if I want something in the rear that will cause driveability problems. I have heard plenty of people say the detroit is not an issue with an automatic but what about the manual? Thanks.

I have an ax15 and a detroit in my d44 with 4.88 gears and in DD situation it's transparent unless I have uneven tire pressure from side to side. IMHO it's a perfect setup: nothing to worry about in regards to pressure lines, cable actuators or electrical.

i will take a moment to get used to it but you will learn quick enough not to romp on in on sharp corners and that type of thing best thing to do with you girl is to take her to a parking lot and do a quick driver 101 but deff go for it if the price is good. (or save a little more and go selectable) for gears go 4.88 i have 4.56 now with 35's and wish i was just a hair deeper in the gears. if you have any plans on going bigger in tires think long and hard about what size your gonna stay at and then do gears.

holeshot said:
I never see myself going any larger than 35's (honestly). So with that being said? 4.56 or 4.88's?
4.88's! I run 4.88 with 33's and they are just about perfect. I cruise on the freeway (now that I got rid of vibes by swapping out my front dshaft) at 80mph without any problems.

Back