• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chev 350 Swap Questions

Mechanic_Dave

NAXJA Forum User
From everything I can gather, there is enough room for a SBC to fit into a xj, the question becomes how easy can I do this. I can change the tranny, and I can figure out the exhause and so on. I have found a cross member kit from transdapt that allows a SBC into a 86 - 96 wrangler. Its a great looking peice, but would it physically work in a xj? If it would with welding, I think it would be cool as it would give solid mountings to work with.
thanks
David

you are better off making a crossmember from a plain piece of steel. drill a couple of holes and your work is done. thats what i did when i did mine.

XJjosh said:
you are better off making a crossmember from a plain piece of steel. drill a couple of holes and your work is done. thats what i did when i did mine.

Ditto, cause the YJ crossmember is totally different than the XJ/MJ one.

Hi:
For your new XJ crosssmember to use with the SBC Chev 350 and 700-R I used a 6" or "8-inch boxed tube straight across with a few modifications here and there-For more information on additional options available to you do a search here at the NAXJA archives.
bxj-
Cool

Mechanic_Dave said:
From everything I can gather, there is enough room for a SBC to fit into a xj, the question becomes how easy can I do this. I can change the tranny, and I can figure out the exhause and so on. I have found a cross member kit from transdapt that allows a SBC into a 86 - 96 wrangler. Its a great looking peice, but would it physically work in a xj? If it would with welding, I think it would be cool as it would give solid mountings to work with.
thanks
David

I couldent fit it well without curritng the firewall, decided to remove the AC and heater and the tranny tunnel completely so I could get a nice flat belly, low engine placement and the weight as far back as I could. The radiator steering box clearance issue if your larges hurdle, I chose to do full hydraulic steering and to use a cheap $169 27X19in aluminum radiator.

I chose to do propane conversion on the new V8, and dual cases 203-205. Im still working on it very slowly.
t_100_0346_s_210.jpg

t_100_0347_s_389.jpg

t_100_0356_s_712.jpg

100_0580_s_139.jpg

t_steeringvalve2_851.jpg

t_tranytunnel2_141.jpg

tranytunnel4_109.jpg

I did the SBC 350 Chev conversion useing a aluminum radiator from Be Cool + a 1995 LT-1 block that was normally aspirated( read non-injected ) on my generic 1984 Cherokee without cutting the firewall but doing a little cutting in and around the front of the old front crossmember and useing Advance Adapters motor-mounts-I say again this is one of the most cost-efficient and simple engine power increases that you could do with the XJ irrespective of model-years-Interesting side note to this is that the latest Jeep incarnation to emerge from der wunderkinder over at the Daimler-Benz factory features almost the same engine/horsepower option( 5.7 liter)that a few XJ owners here at the NAXJA forum had been doing for years-( I am wondering if they have/had been prowling and gleaning their "new engineering" technology from here at the NAXJA forum )-I suggest again that you will find a wealth of knowledge"know-how" and plethora of information useing the NAXJA archives-Also look under my name bxj

Advanced Adapters has motor mounts specifically to install the small block 350 into an XJ. It places the motor in such a position that you don't need to cut up the fire wall or the tranny tunnel, unless your also going to use an NV4500 trans. Build a custom trans cross member out of 2x4x3/16 rectangle steel tube. Advance Adapters recommends a minimum of 3" lift if you use there engine mounts; the engine is set low in the frame for hood clearance. I installed a TBI (converted to multiport) in my '88. Had I been able to use exhaust manifolds from either an early truck or from a Camaro, the swap would have been "relatively" easy. I had to use '95 truck manifolds (Calif SMOG requirement because I installed an NV4500 trans!!) that required cutting the frame rails on both sides , as well as cutting out the UCA mounts to clear the exhaust manifolds. Also, I wanted a cool running engine, so I had to do extensive mods to the frame rails forward of the engine mounts as well as a new custom front cross member. I also installed a Grand Cherokee (WJ) steering box to gain clearance between the frame rails. The WJ box fits on top of the frame, adding additional space for a "real" radiator. Mods to the front frame rails (inserted 2x6x3/16 tubing into frame rails) helped reinforce the steering box mount significantly. Point here, if you have the engine out to do this swap, now is the time to address reinforcement needs of the uni-body, and make mods necessary to properly cool the new, larger V8. I've read that the radiator should have an area equal to the engine's cubic inches, plus 50; ie, 400 square inches for a 350 cubic inch engine. And don't forget the fan shroud!

I agree with the last 2 posts. I used the AA motor mounts and the Becool radiator. Part number 60088. Fit right in and have never had a cooling issue. I used a holley truck avenger with dual electric fans. No clearance issues whatsoever. and no cutting. heck, even the stock cherokee power steering pump hoses bolt right into the chevy pump! and mine was a 96 2 door. i highly reccomend the radiator though. the generic ones are funny looking. i tried the old truck 'ram horns' manifolds but it wouldnt fit. so i finally ordered the slick fit headers fromAA and they were a dream....highly reccomend them. (for sale- ram horns manifolds). any questions let me know. i have pics also.

josh

Some very good points, and I am glad I have asked. I am not sure where I am headed with the XJ right now though. Right now, she has a 2.5 with a 5 spd. If I do the swap it will be sometime in the next 2 years. I may just start the mods with a different XJ (or possibly a CJ/YJ) with a 4.0. Gives me a better base to start with. But I haven't ruled out completly modding this XJ. It hurts less to distroy a beater, then to distroy a nice Jeep.
David

Back