• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on installing H&T

2qk4u

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what is the best way to cut the output shaft straight. i really dont gave time to take the shaft all the way out. please be specific when explaining

thanks

If you search there are numerous topics on this. But i have heard of cutting while the vehicle is running in 4LO or use a hose clamp on the shaft that will usually give u a straight cut.

make sure it's in 2wd. get in, crank it up, put it in reverse and crawl back under and use a cut off wheel / grinder or whatever to cut the shaft. you basically just hold it there while the output shaft spins, giving you a perfectly straight cut.

I just got a metal cut-off wheel for a 4.5" hand grinder and did as the others said. I let the shaft spin and held the grinder to it lightly. It took a few minutes, but it made a nice clean cut. I cut it about 1/16 of an inch longer than needed and then attatched a hose clamp to mark the 1 1/4 mark. I let the shaft spin again while I ground on it with the grinder to make it even with the clamp.

I used a 4.5 inch angle grinder w/cutoff wheel as well, but I just cut it without spinning the shaft. It still came off pretty straight. You can always grind it down to a nice even cut if it's a little off.

Back