• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Y Wont It Start?

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
ive got a stock 1990 xj (soon to be lifted) and it wont start. It sounds like its gonna start... but it doesnt turn over. I think it might be a problem with the starter but im not sure. What do yall think?

Probably starter like you said,
have you checked the plugs?
another option is if you look down on the starter you should see 2 bolts sticking out, try touching the 2 together with a screwdriver, but watch yourself on the fan, when you touch them, it'll spark and turn over.Also it'll probly scare you, scared the hell outa me when i first did it. Just make sure your dont have any loose clothing near the fan or any of the pulleys.
All your doing there is by-passing the starter, if it still doesnt start then get start checking elsewhere.

No crank?

Crank, no fire?

It's important to distinguish between the two.

If it's a "no crank" problem, start with the starter and/or start relay. If you bridge the starter and it cranks, the start relay is probably shot. If the starter doesn't crank, start there.

If it's a "crank, no fire" problem, then it's likely the CPS - they have a service life of 120-150K on average.

It's useful to tell us your problem in detail - makes it easier to diagnose, and limits the trains of thought you get back...

5-90

Yea it cranks but doesnt fire... thats what i meant by "It sounds like its gonna start... but it doesnt turn over." i have checked the plugs and there fine so ill try touching the two bolts together and see what happens. Thank yall for your help.

Last edited:
This might sound dumb...but it doesnt have a security system on it does it? If it does, use the key in the back hatch and turn it back and forth two times and will start....that was why I got one of mine for $200. The guy couldnt start it.

No, i dont have a security system installed, but thats very interesting. thanks. But i did try touchin a screwdriver to those two bolts on the starter... and it tried to start ,just like before, and it never did catch (turn over). Yall have any more ideas of what could be wrong? or is it just the starter is worn out?

If it cranks, it's not a starter problem - that's working fine.

It's going to be a fuel or fire issue - and troubleshooting both of those usually starts with the CPS. Find a 3-pole connector with two wires near the back of the intake manifold, unplug it, and plug it back in - this often "wipes" the contacts clean and allows a reconnection. If that works, unplug it and attack with some electrical contact cleaner and a pipe cleaner.

If not, get a CPS from somewhere and try that instead. Since you've got a 90, you can't use a later model CPS - the ECM won't know what to do with the signal it gets. If that doesn't work, keep the old one for a spare (which you should have anyhow) and let us know so we can tell you where to look next.

Oh - one more time, THE STARTER IS WORKING if you're getting a normal crank. No need to check anything there.

5-90

Well the "3-pole connector with two wires" has been cleaned and the xj still doesnt start. I think i might have to goto my last resort....getting it towed! But Thank you for all your help.

Back