• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do new gears come with directions??

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the deal after serching I ended up goin with 4.88 gears
and master install kits

this will be my first gear swap and I hve all the tools I will need

I have the richmond video btw its very informative

only thing is I can find a direction manual for a D30

D44 yes

so I was wondering if a gear set comes with directions for a certain application..

and lastly
are the shims for the carrier on a dana 30 on the inside or outside of the bearings??

Other than the cap & pinion bolt torque values, the 30 and 44 set up is basically identical. The shims go inside the bearings on both these, and neither have a crush sleeve.

I would set the 30 up on the tight side of the ranges... This allows for the bearings and case to open up a bit and still be good.

If you have a new style ARB the shims are moved to the outside of the bearings.

I set the 30's up way to tight and then break them in carefully checking for excessive heat. Without a case spreader (I wouldn't ever use one on a 30) it's damn near impossible to get the bearing preload to tight. I usually add .005-.010 on each side, depending on how tight my test setup is, when putting it together for the final time. If it doesn't take some good healthy blows with a dead blow or wood block to seat I add more.

I put my dads 30 together with .003" back lash and I had the preload as tight as I think it coulld be. After a year is opened up to .006" but it has held that for the last year. That 30 stock (don't know how much 4x4 time) was at .020" back lash when I pulled it appart.

Have fun.

Back