• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Service after buying bad gasoline-water; Company claims it will pay (long)

urbanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I buy about 7 gallons (20$) from the University Shell, located at 3505 Gulf FRWY. Houston TX, 77003.

Next thing I know I can hardly keep it running at low rpm. Next day, I killed the battery trying to start it, recharged, used some good ole starting spray eather and it rolled over & died. Cranked it again and it started but I had to stay pretty heavy on the gas to keep it from quiting.

Drove the gas out and things got better by the mile, new gas got things going pretty good.

I was lucky and still had the reciept (GOOD REASON TO KEEP EM FOR A BIT) and called Shell Customer Scervice @ 1888goshell.

I explained to them that the gas I bought caused problems (I think it had a bunch of water in it). The Rep took lots of info and explained Shell stations may not actually be selling shell gasoline... :shocked:...and that they WILL TAKE CARE OF ANY REPAIR NEEDED. I just wanted my 20$ back for the gasoline.

A week later I get an email from Shell saying they need
two estimates, a reciept for the repair, the shell reciept and a letter "describing the incident" before they can review my claim. Good thing I didn't stick the Jeep in the shop! Also, the REP said I was the only one reporting bad gas at that station.

I got 2 estimates faxed to me, one from the factory is 470$ + 339$ for fuel pump if needed. I am hesitant to put it in the shop. I don't know if Shell WILL reimburse me for the service.

I would forget about the whole issue except I think I have lost a few miles/gallon and I have gone through a few tanks now.

Has anyone ever delt with a Gasoline Company like this with any success?
500 to 800$ is more than I can spare without reimbursment.

Should I put in the shop on faith, or forget about it?

Any suggestions or accounts of similar expirence would be greatly appretiated.

Tip on buying gasoline. Don't by gasoline from any station that has a gasoline tanker truck sitting in the lot that may be in the process of off loading or may have just off loaded its product. The flow stirs up all the water (condensation and ground table leaks) and sediment (dirt, rust,others) in the underground tank and is pumped through the filter which may or may not stop the sediment (if the filter has been changed and doing it's job or if there even is a filter in the filter housing). Most likely the water will pass right through the filter. In our city at least 25% of the gas stations have been closed down because of under ground tank leaks in the last 10 years where the owner was unable to deal with the repair costs and the EPA costs.

I wanted to follow up on this thread, but it may belong on off topic forum. ADMIN:Move it if you wish.

Shell screwed me.

I knew it was bad gas. If this ever happens to anyone and U think you need repairs, dont drive the bad gas out. Have it towed to a reputable scervice station and get the gas tested.

Jeep service reciept quote "FUEL PUMP DAMAGED BY CONTAMINATED FUEL--CLOGGED UP. FOUND FUEL PRESSURE 40 PSI---SPEC IS 50 PSI. PUMP FAILED VOLUME TEST".

Shell Customer Care reviewed my claim in 24 hours! They "determined there was no contamination...the dealers records met our quality standards..."

Did they really check these records in 24 hours? I doubt it.

On the phone Shell said if there were no other complaints for that station.

So I'm guessing there was malfunction of equipment or neglegence from the University Shell, 3505 Gulf Frwy, Houston, 77003. Of course they deny any problem could have occured.

I will take the station to small claims court.

I will never buy gasoline from any Shell.

What are you going to take them to small claims court over? Have you spent any money on repairs? Small claims court will only reimburse you if you can show actual, financial damages. You won't get anywhere if you go in saying that you "might" need a new fuel pump.

I'd say change the fuel filter, run a can of dry gas and then a can of injector cleaner though the system, and call it done.

[EDIT]Just looked at your profile and I see that you have a 2000, so the filter is integral with the pump. Just run the cleaner through it. If that doesn't straighten things out, you'll have to have an actual bill for repairs performed before small claims court will even listen to you.

You will win in small claims, they won't show up. But you will not get paid.
My case was different, I got a sample and there were other conplaints, if they do show up in court, you don't really have any proof.

langer1 said:
You will win in small claims, they won't show up. But you will not get paid.
My case was different, I got a sample and there were other conplaints, if they do show up in court, you don't really have any proof.

Langer1 is correct. Getting a judgement in small claims court is the easy part.
Collecting on that judgement next to impossible.

Eagle said:
What are you going to take them to small claims court over? Have you spent any money on repairs? Small claims court will only reimburse you if you can show actual, financial damages. You won't get anywhere if you go in saying that you "might" need a new fuel pump.

I'd say change the fuel filter, run a can of dry gas and then a can of injector cleaner though the system, and call it done.

[EDIT]Just looked at your profile and I see that you have a 2000, so the filter is integral with the pump. Just run the cleaner through it. If that doesn't straighten things out, you'll have to have an actual bill for repairs performed before small claims court will even listen to you.

Not exactly correct. If you have an official repair diagnosis pointing to bad fuel and repair estimate and can show a receipt for the recent gas purchase you have a reasonable chance. Of course having the actual contaminated fuel test from your tank would have been much much better. Also if you get a judgement against the station and they don't pay go to the court clerks office and have the papers issued to have the sheriff collect the judgement by going to the station late in the day to take the cash from the register to collect on your judgment. Good Luck. Greg

Greg Smith said:
Not exactly correct. If you have an official repair diagnosis pointing to bad fuel and repair estimate and can show a receipt for the recent gas purchase you have a reasonable chance. Of course having the actual contaminated fuel test from your tank would have been much much better. Also if you get a judgement against the station and they don't pay go to the court clerks office and have the papers issued to have the sheriff collect the judgement by going to the station late in the day to take the cash from the register to collect on your judgment. Good Luck. Greg
If you read his post though his diagnoses was via email, he never had it looked at any where when this happened.

yes, he had it looked at by the stealership and they gave him a quote and reason.

UrbanXJ said:
Jeep service reciept quote "FUEL PUMP DAMAGED BY CONTAMINATED FUEL--CLOGGED UP. FOUND FUEL PRESSURE 40 PSI---SPEC IS 50 PSI. PUMP FAILED VOLUME TEST".

Thanks Greg and everyone, the claim is submitted. They will serve the service agent (who no one can find) and I may win just by summary judgment.

I got 2 estimates via fax, and later took it in to the dealership. I have all the paperwork, reciepts, etc... The repair bill clearly states "fuel pump damaged by gasoline contamination."

So I got their assumend name from the state comptroller. Although it was a "Shell" station, they are doing buisness as U.S. Petroleum LP.

Since it is a limited partnership, I called the secretary of state to find who their Service Agent is. I sent him 2 demand letters. One regular mail, one certified. Both came back undeliverable. Called Sec. of State back to confirm address, and it was correct. They also requested proof of the returned mail. I guess they the service agent hasen't kept his address current......

Back