• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockkrawler crossmember-skid

R

rangerjoe2001

has anyone used, or seen a rockkrawler skid used.

I searched and didnt find anything!

I'm interested too. I'm wondering how it's mounted. Does it go in place of the stock cross member?

If no one knows, I'll head down and take a look at one, since RK is only a few blocks away from me.

xj_flatskid.JPG

dsgray16 said:
i dont think it would have tranny mount bolt holes if it bolted over the stock crossmember

I would think thats exactly why the holes are there. If you need to take off the crossmember, then you would need to remove the skid. Well you just took off the 4 bolts holding it the the body. Now it's still attached to the tranny. You need to take the skid off to get to the bolts holes on the crossmember. Only problem is you have a jack holding it all up so nothing falls on your head. Then again if you're pulling the crossmember, it's probably being supported by the pan.......

If it doesn't mount to the bottom, then it replaces it. In which case it would no longer be just a skid, but a replacement crossmember. For instance, the TnT Crossmember may be a skid, but it is advertised as a HD Crossmember/Belly Pan. However Rock Krawler states that you gain 1" of clearance. Something you can't achieve by simply bolting the skid on the crossmember. So it probably is a whole replacement......... :confused1

Last edited:
DJ, I concur. To gain any ground clearance it has to be a replacement. If not you would loose a 1/4" of ground clearance. Looks like it puts the studs for the tranny mount right through the bottom, waiting to get ripped off...

xj_flatskid.JPG

Nice attempt at a knockoff though...

DSC02348a.JPG

Last edited:
i like the tnt one, but you cant use it with rockkrawler long arms!

rangerjoe2001 said:
i like the tnt one, but you cant use it with rockkrawler long arms!
That's the same issue I had with it. I need a new crossmember/skids, but I have the RK LA kit planned for my next lift and the mounts would be in the way unless you modified the TnTs mount.

i think that has to do with a marketing scheme.. use our skid and our long arms.. i guess you could trim it back some!
IMG_5833bb.jpg

I thought about that, but then you lose the extra front hole. Then again, if you're using the RK long arm kit, you can't use that hole anyway...

Last edited:
nhrocker said:
I thought about that, but then you lose the extra front hole. Then again, if you're using the RK long arm kit, you can't use that hole anyway...

Thats the problem with their setup. It's a great design and very well built. But if you already have long arms, it just won't work. Or in my case i'd have to modify my DB Braces for it to work. For these reasons I will be going with a DPG Rock Attack Skid.

http://www.DPGOffroad.com/rock_attack.htm

DPG's is a solid design, but it still utilizes the stock crossmember, which I was hoping to replace with a high clearance unit. But I think I'd rather do that and just pick up a new stock crossmember (mine is toast) than buy a nice new TnT one and hack it up as soon as I unpack it... :laugh3:

nhrocker said:
DPG's is a solid design, but it still utilizes the stock crossmember, which I was hoping to replace with a high clearance unit. But I think I'd rather do that and just pick up a new stock crossmember (mine is toast) than buy a nice new TnT one and hack it up as soon as I unpack it... :laugh3:

If you find a rock that will take out your crossmember before your Long Arms, I want a picture NOW!

:laugh3:

91 Jeep Project said:
If you find a rock that will take out your crossmember before your Long Arms, I want a picture NOW!

:laugh3:
It might take a while...I'll take a pic next time I'm at the mall! :gag:

Real reason: Right now I'm in the middle of installing an SYE (if you haven't seen the long thread of problems I've been having...) and when I'm done I'd like to tuck it up out of the way. I'm currently only at a temporary 3 inches up front, and no long arms. That's in the hopefully not-so-far-off future. Until then I want it tucked up and well protected, and even with the LA's it would be nice to keep it all out of the way.

OK fellars, Our pan does fit with RE drop brackets and braces. There are 2 extremely simple modifications that need to be done to the RE braces. 1st you need to drill a 1/2" hole in the brace where it covers the forward nutsert in the frame. Second you need to elongate the 2 holes in the vertical section of the brace where RE has you bolt the adjuster studs in the factory lower control arm mounts. Think of it this way, you are going to lower the RE brace 1/4". Once those 2 things have been done it all bolts together. Belly pan first, then the RE braces on the "top" of our pan.

As for the RK kit, some one call us that has a RK kit. 307-775-YLNK With a couple measurement we can tell you if it will work or not. My guess it that it will, IF, you can remove the lower control arm mounts to install our pan. If the RK kit has you weld the lower mounts on(just rear their website and they do require you to weld to the unibody...), you're not completely out of luck but the process to remove them would be complicated. My opinion would be to trash the brackets to save the unibody and order up another set of lower brackets from RK. Removing a heavy guage bracket welded to sheetmetal will not be easy to save both.

Bob

Back