• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan-can the motor be separated from the blades?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Right, so this is my question. I picked up the fan from a 96 XJ today for 10 bucks, the catch was the shroud was broken. I ditched the old shattered shroud figuring I could mount it to my 90's.Wrong, it sticks out too far because the motor is deeper. In the process I was thinking maybe I could just put the new 8 blades on my 6 blade motor until I get the shroud from the 95+ style(or 94 or whatever.) Does anyone know if there is a way to separate the motor from the fan blades? Long story, short question.
Thanks,
Collin

I played with my '89 fan when it died long ago; I believe there's a metal (brass?) clip opposite the motor that holds the fan onto the shaft. Try prying that off the dead one first so if you screw it up it's not such a bg deal.

Yeah I have the clip off already, it almost seems like a puller is required. I would think since they had a clip on there though they meant for it to be serviceable but I'm not sure. Anyone else have any ideas?

The fan blade is designed to come off after the clip is removed. The trouble is, every one I've tried has been rusted to the point it won't come off. I broke the center out of one, finally got the other one loose.

Try letting it soak in penetrating oil overnight.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
The fan blade is designed to come off after the clip is removed. The trouble is, every one I've tried has been rusted to the point it won't come off. I broke the center out of one, finally got the other one loose.

Try letting it soak in penetrating oil overnight.

Awesome! Thank you so much, this thing has been frustrating the heck outta me.

If all else fails I think quadratec has them at a good price. Thats where I got mine for my 98'. If you get one from there you will need to save the OEM electrical connector off the old one. The quadratec's connector sucks bigtime.

Well see my old 6 bladed one is still good i just wanted to upgrade so it hasn't really come to that extreme yet, but yeah Q-Tec does have a good price on 'em. Hella lot better than dealer anyway. Thanks.

Back