• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting creative with ball joint install

Imjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I have a problem the lower ball joint on the passenger side of my front d30 needs to be replaced it is a 92 and i have the ball joint but i dont have a ball joint press and im wondering if there is anyway to get the new one in without it it's not drivable at the moment so i cant get it to a shop or anything to use one

Hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I can't think of any other way.

Harbor Freight Tools sells them for a decent price, if you order now you can probably have it in a couple of days. Otherwise, hit an Auto Zone and ask if they rent that tool.

I did mine with the rental tool from AutoZone. It cost $99 to borrow and you get the full $99 back when you return it, basically bond money so you return it. Made the job easy. Make sure you have a good breaker bar.

To give you an idea how tight those things are in there.... When I popped the first one out my neighbors looked outside because they thought I fired a gun! The press builds alot of pressure on the ball joint and then at the critical moment -bang- then it just walks out with further cranking on the tool.

Mark

Definatly need the press! I rented one for $14 and it worked great.

Tim

I didnt think of that rent a-tool from autozone sweet thanks guys i really would like to have the beast back on the road soon

I did it without the press but I would certainly recommend the press. I ended up using a BF hammer and appropriate sized socket. Chewed it up a bit but it worked. I hated that job.
If you throw the ball joint in the freezer overnight and keep it there until you are at that moment of install, it will have shrunken (?) enough where it will slide right in a lot easier. Of course I learned this "after" I installed mine. Good luck.

I just did mine a couple weeks ago and man was that a chore. I tried the BFH and torch methid and it didn't work. Once I got the press I found out why! Those things are in there! I broke a 3/8" breaker bar trying to get it out and I ended up having to really work to get it out.

The best way to do it is to build up pressure with the press and then lightly tap it with a hammer to let the balljoint move.

upper bushings

I have heard that a ball joint press is good for changing out the upper control arm bushings on the front axle.

Yes a ball joint tool is needed and can be used for control arm bushings as well as U joints (with necessary adapters).

Back