• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 4.0 rear main seal

scotttruhart

NAXJA Forum User
HI

90k on jeep, im noticing some wet areas between tranny and oil pan. i have yet to see a drop on driveway. is this a rearmain failing?

i have heard that these engines have this occur so am i looking a problems with this or is it a easy repair? should i run out and have this repaired?

any one know how much this repair should cost?
thanks,

also i noticed i have 2 O2 sensors. i have neve replaced them and the check engine hasnt come on.. does this mean they are ok? will teh light comeon if they go bad??

scotttruhart said:
HI

90k on jeep, im noticing some wet areas between tranny and oil pan. i have yet to see a drop on driveway. is this a rearmain failing? POSSIBLE. Clean up the underside and keep an eye on it for a week or so.

i have heard that these engines have this occur so am i looking a problems with this or is it a easy repair? should i run out and have this repaired?

DIY. At the same time you WILL be forced to do the oil pan gasket. Plan on a whole saturday, and half of sunday.

any one know how much this repair should cost?
thanks,

also i noticed i have 2 O2 sensors. i have neve replaced them and the check engine hasnt come on.. does this mean they are ok? will teh light comeon if they go bad?? Check engine light comes on when there is a problem with any of the sensors.
HAVE A NICE DAY ;)

The Rabbi

Did my 90 XJ not too long back (don't think there is much difference mechanically between it and a 99). Found a lot of info by doing a search on this forum. Worst part was getting the old one out.

Back