• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bench year differences?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I did search, couldnt find the answer.
I am trying to sell my front seats. I have a guy interested, but he only wants them if he can have the rear bench too. I dont need a leather rear bench, so I need a different one. I have a 97 and am curious if older years are any different? I have plenty of 91s etc in the bone yard to choose from. So, are there differences from year to year on the rear bench seat? Thanks for the help.
josh

Parted out a 1989 and the rear seat fit in my 1994 if that helps.....

I will explain the difference seeing as how I am right in the middle of this project. The bottom part that you sit on will swap without any mod I believe(99% sure) throughout the year range of XJs. The top part which is what I'm swapping(a 98's into my 90) is different. The 97+ top part mounts by two bolts at the base being tightened into the frame. The 96- uses a bolt on the passenger side and a peg that goes into a bushing on the drivers side(ie:no bolt). However, the latches at the top are the same. So what I propose you do is sell your 97's seat, get a 96- seat, cut the peg off, and drill a hole so that the bolt would go through on the driver's side. Heck with enough heat and force the peg might just pop out because I'm pretty sure it's just welded in. I'm not positive the design change was with the 97+ XJs but I'm pretty sure that was the year they changed them.
Hope this helps,
CollinM

Back