• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on this deal

Farley

NAXJA Forum User
I've been kicking myself for 2years now after selling my 99XJ, and I now may be in the market for another one. I am looking at a 2001 Limited with 60K miles and the place is asking $11900.00 for it. It has leather seats and all of the fancy stuff - which I am not used to at all.

Does this sound like a good deal? It runs strong, trans fluid looked good - didn't smell burnt, no visible leaks, and the body and interior are near mint. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Yup, worth it. I paid $13k for my '99 in '02 with 49.5k miles. Be sure to check that everything power works. Later models seem to have more electrical gremlins than mechanical ones.
EDIT: Especially check the fog lights (switch tends to go bad easily) and the heated seats. Often with the seats, they don't work just because of a broken wire element, but the dealer will try to gouge you for about $750-1000 per seat to replace. Dealers don't fix them--just replace because the elements are stitched into the leather covers.

I looked around quite a bit before I found my '96 XJ w/ 95000 miles on it. Got it for around $4,300. I drove lots of newer models (2000 and 01) with higher price tags, but I ultimately settled on this one...couldn't be happier. The biggest difference I found is to actually test drive it. Some XJ's just feel like dogs. Hard to put into words, but if you drive enough you'll know the difference.

Back