• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roll controll/line lock

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of ditching my rusty old e brake cables in favor of line lock like the funny cars use.I don't know too much about it,so would there be any draw backs to using this system on a daily driver in lue of a traditional e-brake.Has anyone done this mod?

True,you make a good point,I hadn't thought of that but what are the chances of both the front and rear systems going out at the same time(I know,never say never)and if I actually had to use the emergency brake for a true emergency I would be screwed?

I drive a 5 speed so I could use compresion braking.....but in the event of a real emergency I wouldn't have time for that........

Wait a minute I'm answering my own post.......

Like Brett said, if you lose line pressure.....

There's a couple of options for line locks, though. One is to plumb the brake line into the driver's compartment and use a mechanical line lock. Disadvantage is that you've now got high pressure fluid in with you, and a lot of hydraulic circuit (read: PRIMARY system) behind it. Second would be an electric line lock, and you could plumb that in pretty much anywhere in the hydraulic circuit. Downsides are that you've got more wiring to worry about, and I don't know if heat build-up in the coils are an issue.

More of a concern is that you're now going to share more primary hardware with the backup braking system. Regardless of where you add the line lock, if you blow a wheel cylinder, you lose BOTH systems.

Me, I'd just replace the rusty cables.

Another drawback of an Electric model is a small continous draw on the battery...could go dead over a couple days time.

Its illegal in many if not most states.

There's also the issue that the line lock doesn't supply any pressure - it merely holds pressure previously provided. Therefore, it's useless if your foot already isn't helping.

I've put quite a few on forklifts - they're good for their intended use, but that's about it.

5-90

jeepdeepfreak said:
but what are the chances of both the front and rear systems going out at the same time(I know,never say never)and if I actually had to use the emergency brake for a true emergency I would be screwed?
QUOTE]

I lost all hydraulic fluid coming into a toll both at about 50mph during rush hour in a '88 Bronco several years ago. Scared the bejesus out of me. Held the e-brake release lever and feathered the e-brake to stop. With out the e-brake I'm sure somebody would have been hurt. I will never get rid of an e-brake.

Matt

I love the line lock I have in my Scout II. It is by far the best PARKING brake that you can have offroad as it will hold very well. I am in the process of putting one in my XJ and ran into a little snag which I will post a separate thread on.

Back