• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This stinks....start/stall....

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
My g/f calls me today around 11 when she's leaving work, said "my jeep wont stay running". Heres what she explained.... this morning when she left for work, it cranked over incredibly slow, like a dead battery, but it did start...then leaving work, cranked once, didnt start...sounded like a dead batter, cranked twice, started but idle dropped and then stalled, cranked a third time, started, she had to keep her foot on the gas to keep it running....after that every time she'd take her foot off the gas it would stall....i told her to shut it off and i'll go help her out, i get there, she starts it, NORMAL...everything was fine, i gave her my jeep b/c she had to get to school and i had to get to work, so i figured she'd be better off w/ my reliable 94. LOL i got to work w/ hers no problem, started it once already just out of curiousity, no problems. Could a battery that needs to be replaced cause this? What should i start checking for? I doubt its the TPS b/c i thought that would just go all toghether. Any ideas greatly appreciated as i'm now stuck w/ her un reliable jeep b/c i gave her mine b/c her classes are more important than me getting to work on time. Thanks guys.

EGR??

My 96 has a similar prob. Turns over and runs when foot is on gas.

Cleaned IAC, helped...

What consistently worked though (get it fixed but this worked to get it started and run normally)

if your facing the front of your jeep, the i an elbow vac line on the right side of the engine block. its behind the Air filter. unplug it. consistently starts.

noresttill said:
the i an elbow vac line

What?? Where can i find the IAC? I have the haynes manual at home, would they have it in there? I hope thats a cheap/easy fix. The fact that its only done this once, and i havent had the problem w/ it all day yet, can the IAC go bad and then get better?

It'll be the battery causing the IAC problem. With a dieing battery the IAC doesn't reset itself to the correct position when you start the Jeep so it keeps stalling as soon as you take your foot of the gas. If you hold the throttle there for a while the battery gets a bit of a boost and the IAC resets and she'll be fine. Replace the battery and it'll all go back to normal.

Cheers
Steve

JeepXJ93 said:
What?? Where can i find the IAC? I have the haynes manual at home, would they have it in there? I hope thats a cheap/easy fix. The fact that its only done this once, and i havent had the problem w/ it all day yet, can the IAC go bad and then get better?

45 bucks at advance. part number 779-10153 (for my 92). you can get your battery checked for free while you're there.

ok, the dieing battery theory sounds pretty good, at this point do you think the iac is shot b/c of this or the new bettery and original IAC will be fine? I'll get on this immediatly. Thanks for the help all.

Duralast GOld from auto zone has a 3 year replacement warranty and 8 year prorated....60 bux 5 dollar core. What do you guys think, its just for her stock 98.

Sounds like battery to me. Fix the cranking problem first. Once that is fixed, if the other problem doesn't go away, then work on that, but the simplest problem with the least possible causes, is the cranking problem. Have the battery tested.

You guys keep saying to have the battery tested....just for the sake of time, if it cranks over slowly like that, doesnt that right there prove that the battery is shot? Or can it possibly be the alternator not keeping the battery charged if the battery tests good?

JeepXJ93 said:
You guys keep saying to have the battery tested....just for the sake of time, if it cranks over slowly like that, doesnt that right there prove that the battery is shot? Or can it possibly be the alternator not keeping the battery charged if the battery tests good?

at advance we can test your battery, alternator, and starter with the same rollout machine.

Just swap it with the battery from the good vehicle. That will tell you absolutely in a couple of minutes. As for the TPS being a good/bad proposition, don't fool yourself. They can have a dead spot or tons of other intermittent failure modes.

JeepXJ93 said:
So you think i should do the TPS just to be on the safe side?

Just do one thing at a time, no point replacing the TPS or the IAC if the problem goes away with a new battery.

Cheers
Steve

this might be completely off, but i'd say check the cps. the wire that runs to my cps was giving me hell. my jeep would turn slowly and die out after about 20 seconds of being on.

My 96 did the same thing after sitting a week. Had it tested & the CCA was down to about 200. New Red Top fixed it. Haleyes just had this problem Sun. New bat. solved it. HTH. JIM.

bought a new battery last nite from auto zone....gave me the wrong one and my retarded self didnt notice it until i got home and tried to put it in, its about 2 inches smaller in lenght, 2 inches smaller in width and about an inch taller, and the terminals are opposite so you have to flip it around, and her terminals dont reach the other side..lol So i'm bringing this one back, looked at diehards at sears...the gold series or the "suv, truck, van" series....supposedly has my CCA's. Any opinions? they want 80bux it...worth it?? Thanks again for all the help guys.

Back