• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better Than Stock Alternater?

dryflakescalp

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my '90 4.0 never seemed to have enough juice. I'd run the headlights, wipers and defroster and see my amps drop to barely above 9. Then on Saturday the alternater died and I'd like to replace it with a higher amp unit, but can't afford huge $$$ for a Mean Green. Any suggestions?

maybe your alternator was just in the process of dying, thus making your lights and so on dim out. personally i think you should just go get one from a parts house with a lifetime warranty.

I am sure 5-90 will chime in here but look him up on here if he doesn't. His webpage shows part #'s for upgrades on the alternator and also upgrading the battery cables which helps also.

Yep, per 5-90's great advice I had mine rewired by San Jose Generator to 140+ amps for $140 earlier this year. Works great. He also put some better components inside.

Side note: Don't gauge your alternator performance by the stock voltage gauge on your dash. They often read lower becuase the connection is somewhere upstream and/or just not very accurate in general. When I turn on lots of devices the guage goes down to 11 - 12V but if I measure across the battery it shows 14+ volts.

If you go with a beefier alternator, I would also highly recommend The Big 3 charging system wiring upgrade, it will help allow the current to move more freely and put less strain on your alternator.

I did this after an aftermarket stereo install and it has virtually eliminated light dimming, and I am still running off the OEM alternator.

Back